One-Armed Mantis Food Options?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnival Glass

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in the food section or the health issues section..sorry ahead of time!  :unsure:
Anyways, I found my mantis on a busy sidewalk and by then she (I think it's a female) had sustained some injuries..
I call her Nemo since she's missing most of her arm (the other arm doesn't work very well either). I was thinking of getting her worms from PetCo but I'm not sure how I'd feed them to her..tongs of some sort? Some way that doesn't squish them I suppose. Any ideas?
Edit: Also her wing buds are starting to show now..do you think it's possible she could regrow her arm in a molt?

IMG_20171003_181052.jpg

IMG_20171003_181501.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Look like her arm is completely twisted around as well... I doubt she could fully regrow her raptoral leg... but after a molt it should at least be better. As far as feeding you could hand feed her anything. She should still be able to hold something to her mouth. Hope this helps!

Connor

Yeah, I just realized that too. She's had a hard life  :wacko:  She cleans her arms and drinks water droplets so her mouth works just fine. Since she's sort of wild, would she take food from my hand that readily? I don't mind holding a worm lol. She's a lot smaller than my previous Carolina mantis, I wonder how old she could be. She's about 3in long and has a tiny head lol  :wub:

I would buy/find tweezers and feed her flies or moths. They usually want to eat those no matter what.

Good idea! We have a ton of pantry moths/Indian meal moths, I can try giving her those if you think those are good. Since it's cooler around here, it's starting to get difficult to find flies or other insects for that matter, but since we have birds we also have tons of pantry moths lol.