Online Buying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some seller have been damanding the use of the feature Nick mentioned above, but there is that issue of "no

refund possible" entering the equation, so one must be prudent in using that provision.

I use Paypal for most of my online shopping because then I don't have to give out my credit card # to a bunch of merchants.

Isn't it free to send someone money in the US from Paypal as long as the money comes from your Paypal balance or from your bank account? I thought the 2.9% (in the US) and $ .30 transaction fee applied to when the person uses their credit card. I'm guessing part of that credit card fee goes to the credit card companies.

I never ask anyone to gift me money to pay for mantids, but occasionally some do this on their own. When someone gifts money in Paypal, if they pay with a credit card, they have the option to pay the credit card fee. If they uncheck the box to pay the fee, then the fee is deducted from the amount the recipient will get. If you gift money and have it come from your Paypal balance or bank account, then there is no fee.

Other than the fact that they are the major player in town and can get away with almost anything, what has Pay Pal done lately that makes it questionable? They do take 4%, for sure.
The last time a remember people complaining opabout the TOS, PayPal updated them to disallow their users from joining a class action lawsuit against the company.

I use Paypal for most of my online shopping because then I don't have to give out my credit card # to a bunch of merchants.

Isn't it free to send someone money in the US from Paypal as long as the money comes from your Paypal balance or from your bank account?
It's only free if you choose friends/family in the payment options, if you don't check that box manually you will be charged the fee's. Not sure how else you would use Payal if not tied to your back account or a paypal account balance?

It's only free if you choose friends/family in the payment options, if you don't check that box manually you will be charged the fee's. Not sure how else you would use Payal if not tied to your back account or a paypal account balance?
Credit card. I used to do it that way until I realized that there were other ways. It was the default option, at least for me.

I need to get a better understanding of how it works since I use it all the time.

I do know that you still have to pay the credit card fee if you gift someone money and charge it to a credit card. I know because I just tried it. I usually have money in my paypal account, but my balance is zero right now, and I have to reimburse a friend for shipping and supplies.

Yeah, if you do it again Tammy check and you'll see the options on the payment page.

This was a test example on $4.00 to be sent friends/family

I'm sending money to family or friends

$0.00 USDfee if you use your PayPal balance and/or a bank account.

$0.42 USD fee if you pay using your credit or debit card.

Other than the fact that they are the major player in town and can get away with almost anything, what has Pay Pal done lately that makes it questionable? They do take 4%, for sure.
It's the get away with about anything that bit me in the butt hard. On another website a person went to there bank after having my product for almost 2 months and claimed unauthorized payment. Paypal refunded the money. He has the cash, my product and on top of that posted a for sale ad Friday with my product front and center. Paypal says they can do nothing because his bank requested the funds, and would not accept e-mails and pm's as proof he indeed purchased the items. So I'm going back to postal money orders or cashiers' checks just like the old days. My loss was $1060.00 and those hits hurt alot.

Did you ship the product to him? I would think that a shipping manifest and requesting that a signature be given when the delivery is accepted could prevent such a case of theft or be used as evidence.

Did you ship the product to him? I would think that a shipping manifest and requesting that a signature be given when the delivery is accepted could prevent such a case of theft or be used as evidence.
Sent express mail and if you couldn't guess " His proof of signature sent by e-mail after recieving" could not be accepted as proof. My reply to paypal over all this was " ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!???".

That's quite unbelievable, I'm glad I've never had such an experience. Perhaps you could have them contact the shipping service used so that they can obtain the proof directly? They probably don't accept emails as proof because it is possible to falsify them.

That's quite unbelievable, I'm glad I've never had such an experience. Perhaps you could have them contact the shipping service used so that they can obtain the proof directly? They probably don't accept emails as proof because it is possible to falsify them.
Well believe it. After 4 very long calls with paypal offering many forms and ways to provide proof that this was bogus. The reply was still their bank requested the funds and nothing we can do about it ( SORRY ). I have used them for a long time and would of never guessed that they would turn their head to platant fraud. So old school payment methods are the way to go. Thanks for all replys and thought processes.