Ooth delay

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm... I would be careful about keeping the ootheca too cool. What species of mantis is it that you would want to delay hatching? Oothecae of some species might be sensitive to cool temperatures, but I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
what species, and why do you need to delay hatching, you should never have a tropical ooth and not expect to incubate it right away.

i mean any tropical species. As there is the problem of having the mantis lay too many ooths. And I do not have enough resources to care for all of the nymphs that hatch out.

I have had three oothecae of Sphodromantis sp. "Blue Flash" kept consistently at around 68F (not certain) and they never hatched. One of the three was from a different female. Also I had a Creobroter pictipennis ootheca kept at around 68F. I thought that might be too cold so I would put the C. pictipennis ootheca under a reptile heating lamp. The heat from the lamp could have been what killed the eggs inside the ooth and not that the ootheca was kept at 68F for a short time (few days or more, can't remember.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, but sometimes people will not grab them up quickly. Also, I know that females produce a lot of ooths and is there a market for ooths?

Latest posts