Ooth Hatched tiny nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeis4

Reaction score
hi all i have left a few post on my ooths and i am glad to say they finaly hatched today the 1st of 4

i now have the task of caring for these little guys so i would like to ask a few questions

hopefully you can help me

1st off i have phoned my local pet shops for fruit flies to no avail so my question is can i feed them other small bugs I.E ants ( i know i will have to be care fully as they can fight back) so is there any substitute i can use untill i find fruit flies

2 - i have heard of cultivating your own flies how can i do this?

3 - i have 17 nymphs from my 1st ooth shall i expect moor from it

hi all i have left a few post on my ooths and i am glad to say they finaly hatched today the 1st of 4 i now have the task of caring for these little guys so i would like to ask a few questions

hopefully you can help me

1st off i have phoned my local pet shops for fruit flies to no avail so my question is can i feed them other small bugs I.E ants ( i know i will have to be care fully as they can fight back) so is there any substitute i can use untill i find fruit flies

2 - i have heard of cultivating your own flies how can i do this?

3 - i have 17 nymphs from my 1st ooth shall i expect moor from it
hi,

if the nymphs have just hatched they prob wont eat for a day or 2 any way, gives you time to get pleny ff. green fly can be fed.

I do my own cultures but tbh there are like a million recipes for doing so lol, me i just use oats and pure juice, they thrive on that. Add 50+ flies and give them a week or 2 you will have loads.

Yeah more nymphs should start to hatch out *depending on spec.*

Lynne

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for you help

i forgot to mention they are they are Egyption Mantis :D

If your nympls have started hatching, Luke, you need to solve the feeding problem quickly!

Don't even try to feed ants. The tiny ones all leave formic acid trails and the nymphs won't touch them

Are you in the UK? There are a few internet stores, particularly in the north of England that sell fruit flies. You might want to order some right away by the quickest shipping method possible

Meanwhile, you might want to try catching some wild ones. Do you have a compost heap? That would be a good spot. Put some bread soaked in vinegar (not enough to drown the flies!) in a jar and see if you can lure some in. (This is called the Strine Method).

In the "Food and Feeding" section, there is an excellent post by Orin on culturing fruit flies and a huge thread on raising them on everything from instant potato flakes to masa flour.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
i got a load of green fly and aphids from my garden an the tiny things seem to love them

its funny watching them hunt they are perfect miniture replicas of their mum

i live in liverpool uk, am going to buy sum fruit flys from ebay so hopefully i will have steady supply of food for them

thank you for your help i will post some pics of them soon