Ooth hatched

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorhack

Reaction score
So i got home today after a parkour jam to discover that one of my ooths had hatched! but there's only two matids in the container, I had the impression that there would be many many more.

Plus they look dry, and already brown or green, like it's been awhile since they hatched. did they eat all the others in the period of the day???

and, I can't seem to find any holes from where they hatched...

Some background:

2 Chinese ooths purchased from hibiscus smile, they were layed or whatever on 6/21...

HELP?!?

Chinese usually hatch out by the BUNCH, so I don't know what happened with yours. With other mantis species, they'll hatch out some in the beginning, and a bunch hatch out later on. Just save that ooth and more may hatch out for you. =)

Yea, how much moisture does it have each week? they can and will hatch a day or so later, don't know why, but they do, my religiosa have been hatching a whole week lately, as its been a year since I had this species, I can't remember if that is normal, but my chinese will hatch over a period of days. And no, they could not of eaten all of them in a day, if for some reason they did, I will buy them back from you ASAP :lol:

I was misting the top and inside of the container every other day, I heard not to directly spray the ooth as it may could create mold.

I caught a bunch of baby moths and some type of mini-leaf hopper things for food. But they don't eat till 2 or 3 days right?

This morning there are like 10 or so walking around and good, some fresh, some dry and there's like another 10 either crippled or just dead at the bottom of the container. It's like they came out still wet and fell straight to the bottom....

I forget, did they have excelsior to grab onto? I have had that happen this week on three diff species, never seen it before either, not like this, the acanthrops hatched about a dozen and all laying dead, then it was a ghost ooth and some mios, and one other one, but can't remember which one right now, any body else seen this, this last week?

yeah there's excelsior, There's around 20 now, doing good however they're not eating anything. Not even each other. the other ootheca had not hatched. But I've been misting it more frequently per your guy's advice