Ooth Help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieske

Reaction score
20161003_192057.jpg
So I got a new cage. And came home to an ooth. It's on the jar pretty good. Should I leave it or is it safe to remove? I feel like I'll break it if I struggle with it. I did get a glue gun and glued a popsicle stick to the top of the new cage top.

20161003_192029.jpg
20161003_192035.jpg

The male I think is dieing. I think she chewed him up good. He's barely moving around, and one of his (claws?) Is missing. He used to have black eyes, now they're dirty brown.

The ooth needs to sit there at least 24 hours to harden - I prefer to let them set a few days to ensure they are hard though. Then you can use a knife/flat screwdriver/etc and pry it under one end and it will come right off. Then you can incubate the ooth, place it outside, or diapause it for hatching later.

Males do not live as long as females and is likely near the end of his life naturally. Of course if your female got a hold of him he will not last much longer anyway. If he is badly injured it may be more humane to place him in the freezer (for 24 hours) to end his suffering a bit early. Carolina mantids are not communal (can not be kept together) and after breeding they will need to be housed separately otherwise your be down to just a female soon. Carolina's are like most other species and very cannibalistic towards others - in nature the males fly away after mating to live another day.

Besides the male and female being kept together, the other concern is the chemicals that surround their habitat. Insects are very susceptible to any chemicals, even if they are used in the same room or a nearby room depending on what it is - and being placed beside the habitat is a problem waiting to happen. I would highly recommend you to move them somewhere away from chemicals before they are poisoned.

The new habitat itself though looks great, and I bet the female is enjoying the room. :)

Thanks as always CosbyArt. Sorry, I just put it there for picture taking as it's the best lighting I have. I'll immediately remove the male too. Thanks for all your info :)

Update. I can't go into the primary reason why I can't put him in the freezer, but I did take him out and set him free. My heart couldn't bare seeing him suffer, so I put him out on the front yard bushes. Strange how I wanted to see her bite his head off, but don't like seeing him maimed and struggling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks as always CosbyArt. Sorry, I just put it there for picture taking as it's the best lighting I have. I'll immediately remove the male too. Thanks for all your info :)
Your welcome. No problem, just wanted to be sure you were aware of the chemicals. ;)

I don't blame you for setting the male free, he may survive on to mate another female or two, if not his legacy will be the nymphs that hatch from your girl's ooths (and likely other wild mantises too).

I was the same when I started out, it seemed too cruel, but as time when on I was forced to become more comfortable with doing it when I have to. Eventually their suffering is much more than the idea of placing them in the freezer, and is the only humane way to do it. It is a downside to the hobby, as little can be done to help them usually, but it is part of all life itself too.

On the plus side your girl should be fertile for sure now, and you'll have more nymphs than you know what to do with when you hatch them. :D

I know I could search this, but since I'm here, how will & what will I feed these nymphs? Lol Oh heck, I'll go search... haha

I know I could search this, but since I'm here, how will & what will I feed these nymphs? Lol Oh heck, I'll go search... haha
Start with Melanogaster fruit flies when they hatch, after their first molt move up the Hydei fruit flies. After another molt start on stable flies, another molt then house flies. Then another molt and they should be ready for bottle flies which are good for them even as adults. You can start mixing in other prey too depending on the feeder size, the trick is just feed them appropriate sized prey as they grow. ;)

Lol, since I was a kid (I'm 44 this month) and heard they get their heads bit off, I always wanted to see if it were true. It never bothered me until I saw him struggling yesterday. So, I don't need to see that anymore. :D

Latest posts