Ooth incubation?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granso606

Reaction score
I would like to set up a place where I can incubate my ooths are there any ideas on how to set up an incubation chamber? I've never really found anything that talks about this. I'm thinking of using one of those 80oz flip top containers from superior supplies and hooking up a heat lamp suspended above it to keep my ooths around 80F or 26c.
Would this creation work?

I would like to set up a place where I can incubate my ooths are there any ideas on how to set up an incubation chamber? I've never really found anything that talks about this. I'm thinking of using one of those 80oz flip top containers from superior supplies and hooking up a heat lamp suspended above it to keep my ooths around 80F or 26c.
Would this creation work?
I have some concerns
1: a heat lamp could get hot enough to melt that plastic, and melted plastic loves to catch fire!
2: That heat lamp (assuming it's a non-light emitting one, if it's one that does generate light as well we have another issue) may very well dry out your ooths
3: Most species don't need it particularly warm. I'd say only Blepharopsis mendica, Idolomantis diabolica, Gongylus gongylodes, Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, Popa spurca, Otomantis scutigera, and the Heterochaetea species need higher than room temp heat to do well

I have some concerns
1: a heat lamp could get hot enough to melt that plastic, and melted plastic loves to catch fire!
2: That heat lamp (assuming it's a non-light emitting one, if it's one that does generate light as well we have another issue) may very well dry out your ooths
3: Most species don't need it particularly warm. I'd say only Blepharopsis mendica, Idolomantis diabolica, Gongylus gongylodes, Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, Popa spurca, Otomantis scutigera, and the Heterochaetea species need higher than room temp heat to do well
So what if it does emit some light

So what if it does emit some light
well i'm glad you asked!
light is bad for eggs. JK, but if there's a nonstop, 24 hour light overhead rather than a light with a regular cycle, you may run into some problem. What I'm saying is, don't leave a heat light on constantly! Animals need a day/night cycle to be healthy!

And I also have a humidity and temperature gauge in the container. So with the species they like it high humid and higher temperatures

And I also have a humidity and temperature gauge in the container. So with the species they like it high humid and higher temperatures
"the species" huh?

people really need to get better at asking questions
the number of times someone asks something like "my mantis hasn't molted in 3 weeks, is this normal?" boggles my mind! Please tell us
A: the species
B: your environmental parameters
C: the sex and life stage of your mantis
D: the feeding regime

at the bare minimum!

I really do not know what you're trying to ask, and thus I cannot help you

Latest posts