ooth laid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTHMfreak

Reaction score
South Ontario California. Pretty much on the Chino
A mantis that I had found within the last month was looking sluggish last night so I threw the last cricket I had in the tank in high hopes. Well soon after the cricket was eaten and the mantis went from laying on a fake plant to hanging on the wall again. This morning I noticed a small ooth on the stick about a half inch long and quarter inch wide. I did not know I found s pregnant one but am excited I did, any chance more ooths will be laid? Any special care?

Make sure you feed her each day, she is prob mated as she was taken from outside, she will lay an ooth about every two weeks, give her water too. Mist the ooth at least 3 times a week. What kind of mantis is she? oh, let the ooth dry or remove the stick with it on it to another place to hatch.

I found a wild mantis who has laid 2 ooths which did not produce any nymphs I am guessing she was not fertilized. Just found another big female outside who laid an ooth soon after bringing her inside. Unfortunately I had to tear it off the wire mesh on the top of her enclosure and one side is a bit damaged so I hope that if it was in fact fertilized then I didn't damage it too badly.

What species? If she's native, you have to put the ooth in in the fridge or put it outside in a container and wait till it warms up in the spring... Then take it inside/out of the fridge and keep it generally warm and mist it every few days. Don't let the ooth get too dry, keep it moisturizer. You said you found it so i assume it's a Chinese mantis, European mantis or stagmomantis sp. The ooth needs to over winter!

-Cole

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I put it in the fridge? And as far as species I think it is either Carolina or California mantis. I prolly had her for about two weeks when she laid the ooth, so no babies inside it?
Put it in the fridge... Ooths of that species need diapause (overwintering) to develop, the fridge is colder then the rest of your house which means it replicates winter and then when spring time comes, take it out and keep it warm then it will hatch if it's fertile or if it's not it won't hatch.

All the best,

-Cole

Ok, guess I will put the ooths in the fridge then, how should I remove them from the stick? Do I mist them while they're in the fridge? How long should they be in the fridge for? Do they need to hang upside down while in the fridge?

I think it may be a brown colored European mantis

Stagmomantis ooths do NOT need a cold period. If you want it to hatch later then yes give it a cold period. If you want it to begin incubating keep it warm. If it is a European mantis (M. religiosa) then a cold period is good for them.

And all adult female mantids can be considered gravid since they will lay eggs as long as they live.

You can tell if their is the eye like marking on their inner arms near the thorax.. If there is, it's a European mantis if not it's a stagmo... If it is a European mantis... It will be good to give a cold period like Rick said

Latest posts