Ooth orientation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinity

Reaction score
Perhaps coincidence but I thought it was worth a mention... I have two mantids in separate net cages adjacent to each other and one laid her ooth a week ago, the other last night... but they both laid it in exactly the same orientation. I just used a compass and they are aligned so that the ooth is pointing north-south. i.e. the mantis started at a point and moved north as the ooth *grew*.

Just for completeness- the light source was from the SW, and as it was a net cage, there are no known chemical/ gaseous/ heat gradients within the cage.

Anyone else notice this or was it just really freaky coincidence?

I think this might only apply for those ooths that are laid on the roof of an enclosure and for certain species as some produce hanging cyllindrical ooths - so maybe only for the Brunerria, Mio, Stagmo, Sybilla and PWs...

opinions?

Never noticed it in captivity but when the chinese mantids lay their ooths outside sometimes several ooths are laid near each other from different females.

Latest posts