Ooth second hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenae

Reaction score
Holy frass! What was I thinking!

On Saturday morning, we were pleased to wake up to find (tenodera sinensis) mantids emerging from the ootheca. We watched 7 tiny little grains emerge and vie for position. It was SO cool to see them expand magically and then little limbs pop out. Each of the 7 eventually dropped to the ground, then found its own spot to occupy in the container. No more action... just 7. We left on an outing, and hoped the ooth would yield more nymphs. Nope. Still we hoped for the next day... nope. By Sunday night, I had given up... I read posts here and saw that typically TS ooth-mates hatch within hours. I figured I would leave the ootheca in the container just in case. Monday morning... 48 hours post hatch... we woke up to find the container was well busy with a full hatch!

In hind-sight, I realize that we should have moved the original 7 into another container, just in case. Here we had planned to feed the 7 some FFs Monday morning, but didn't want to add FFs while the ooth was freshly hatching. At that time, we could easily identify the original 7, as the new nymphs were so much lighter in color. However, we didn't want to disturb the hatch to remove the 48-hour-lings. We hoped that they would still be identifiable later monday, but of course the nyphs all darkened during the day. SO we couldn't really pick them out at that point. Monday evening, I split the nymphs into 3 different containers, and added a few FFs to the only container where nymps seemed to be in chase mode. Didn't see any catch FFs. This morning (Tues) we will add FFs to all containers. I see that there is at least one headless nymph. I am not surprised that the original 7 would now be eating their siblings! I know it is a bit early to feed, 24 hours post-hatch, but we are hoping to keep the cannibalism to a minimum!

Does anyone know why there would be 48 hours between hatches for the the first 7 and the remainder? Any recommendations at this point?

Thanks!

Wrenae (Mom of Sunhorse)

It has been pretty common for me.

I had 2 taumantis sigiana ooths and 1 omomantis zebrata, the 2 taumantis started hatching at exactly the same time and combined I had about 120 nymphs, I left it for a day before moving them into a mega enclosure but I kept the ooths attached to the original containers, low and behold I got another ~40 hatchlings over the next week.

The zebrata ooth started hatching at the same time as the taumantis but only 3 nymphs emerged.. it was a very small ooth for zebrata so I assumed that was all that was in it, 3 days later I had another ~25 nymphs.

Same thing with the oxy dumonti ooths I have at the moment, I had a single hatchling 2 days ago and they are just now starting to do a full hatch.

As for recommendations on the feeding, just start putting food in the enclosures you currently have, putting fruit flies or pinhead crickets into the enclosure, even with 24hour-old hatchlings isnt going to hurt, they will eat when they are ready and the flies and crickets have no chance of harming the nymphs

No worries hibiscus, I've got no experience with tenodera so I don't know how big the nymphs are, the only nymphs I haven't been able to feed pinhead crickets are oxy and ghost because they are tiny.

Thank you all! It is great to have quick responses here!

Yes... we are keeping them misted. And we put in fruit flies for them. We have pin-heads and 2 week old crickets... but just feeding them to the mantid from another ooth which hatched last month.

Seems to be going well...

I am enjoying them more than my kids are, I think!

:)

Thank you all! It is great to have quick responses here!

Yes... we are keeping them misted. And we put in fruit flies for them. We have pin-heads and 2 week old crickets... but just feeding them to the mantid from another ooth which hatched last month.

Seems to be going well...

I am enjoying them more than my kids are, I think!

:)
..... Thats how I got it to this Hoby cause my Kids.......

Latest posts