Ooth shape and fertility and parthogenesis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsea

Reaction score
So my female Stryker (Chinese mantis) just laid an ooth today. Im a little worried that means she may pass soon. The ooth is shaped much different then usual, I assume its infertile. BUT then I have read of some parthogenesis in mantids. What are the chances of that happening? Has anyone experienced such in mantids?

Yaay Congrats, Stryker!

A chinese mantis shooould be able to lay around 5-6 ooths in their lifetime :] So your girl's adulthood has only just begun.
It's unlikely that the ooth will be fertile if she's never mated. I doooon't think the Tenodera sp. are capable of parthenogenesis. If they are, it's very rare.
As for the unusual shape, can we see a photo? A misshapen ooth could be sign of a health problem or not enough food(?) I don't think that has anything to do with its fertility.

She has never touched a male, so yeah most likely infertile.

I can try to get a pic soon.

I did read on this site of one person who documented parthenogenesis or likely parthenogenesis in Tenodera sinensis.

I did read on this site of one person who documented parthenogenesis or likely parthenogenesis in Tenodera sinensis.
I certainly wouldn't bet on it being an actual legitimate case. I think the odds of a rogue male living in your attic and sneaking in for some night nookie through the air ducts would be higher - and that's not to say either is probable at all :p

Latest posts