Ootheca above my porch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzjustjeff

Reaction score
I noticed this above my porch today

003424.jpg

Is it possibly a ootheca? It's about the size of a usb drive. If it is, is it possible to determine what type of mantis laid it? I'm guessing the lines mean that it already hatched? :/

Your in temple city so its a California species. Most likely S. Limbata or S. Californica. I found one the other day. It was smaller that. I recommend that you get a blade and slice the bottom portion of it it if you want to keep it. Good luck

how would I go about slicing it? I tried getting it off but that thing is as hard as a rock!

I can't get a closer picture; it's really high and I'm already standing at the top of my ladder

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a blade. Try to slice the bottom portion of it so you dont cut any eggs.Its ment to be hard as a rock so it can with stand winter. Be very careful and cut tthe bottom. The closer to the bottom the better.

It is probably on there real good, if what it's laid on is porous. Be careful. Maybe give it a while. It's meant to withstand weather and might be easier to remove after a little.

It has NOT hatched. That is a very fresh ooth. You can tell by the color. It should pop right off with something thin and flat inserted underneath of it. And Stagmomantis sp. for sure.

not to menton the only ladder we have is older than I am and made of wood...wish me luck everyone! If I'm not in the forums tomorrow please scan the news and explain my strange death...haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Alright I got the ooth down. It took off a good chunk of my ceiling. How should I go from here? Should I glue it to a surface and flip it upside down again like I found it?

131203.jpg

131220.jpg

131242.jpg

131309.jpg

Latest posts