Ootheca in the snow

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotsy99

Reaction score
In November my husband found a female Chinese mantis on our back screen door. He asked if we should bring it in because of the freezing temps expected that night. Well, he didn't have to ask me twice. 

We put her in a large kritter keeper with some twigs and fattened her up with some crickets. She layed an ootheca on the top of the kritter keeper and died a few weeks later.

Now to my question. We put the top outside but since snow was in the forcast, we put the top in the shed. I didn't want it on the ground covered in snow. Would it have made a difference? Normally it would have been on a twig and not on the ground so I wanted to play it safe.

What is your opinion? 

@spotsy99 In nature all ooths I have found would have zero snow on them. The ooths are typically laid on flat vertical surfaces, or the underside/bottom of branches, so snow and rain tend to run right off of them if it can even reach them.

In a shed is the most recommended location for a relocated ooth over winter. :)

Thank you, Thomas. I'm glad we moved it!
Your welcome, and so am I. :) I would just suggest once it starts warming up to attach the ooth to a vertical wall, tree branch, or bush (hot glue or thread works great). That way the little nymphs aren't stuck in your shed after hatching, and have feeders available. ;)

Your welcome, and so am I. :) I would just suggest once it starts warming up to attach the ooth to a vertical wall, tree branch, or bush (hot glue or thread works great). That way the little nymphs aren't stuck in your shed after hatching, and have feeders available. ;)
I'll have to lay the top of the kritter keeper in the bush somehow because she layed the ooth on the grid at the top. I'm leary to try to pry it off since it's not on a flat surface. 

I'll have to lay the top of the kritter keeper in the bush somehow because she layed the ooth on the grid at the top. I'm leary to try to pry it off since it's not on a flat surface. 
If you are afraid of hurting the ooth then just place the lid in a thick bush, or just tie a string around the lid handle or loop a string through the feeding door and around to a side (then just tie it to a branch). :)

If you are afraid of hurting the ooth then just place the lid in a thick bush, or just tie a string around the lid handle or loop a string through the feeding door and around to a side (then just tie it to a branch). :)
That's a great idea. That way it will be stable. Thanks for the feedback. You are so helpful with your answers to everyone. I have been reading a lot of past posts and learning so much.

Also, congrats on becoming an administrator!  (I read that too)  :D

That's a great idea. That way it will be stable. Thanks for the feedback. You are so helpful with your answers to everyone. I have been reading a lot of past posts and learning so much.

Also, congrats on becoming an administrator!  (I read that too)  :D
Thanks, I figured the string on the handle or opening would allow you to not worry about it. :) Your welcome, and thanks for the kind words I just try to help when I can.

Thank you! Peter figured I'd be able to assist them, as I was always here anyway, and let me do a bit more help besides posts with some of the behind the scenes tasks being a moderator. It is of course volunteer work, but it was been very rewarding helping others and their pets. :D

Latest posts