Ootheca lighting requirements

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonMantis

Reaction score
I currently have an indoor grow room with 80 F. temps and 50+ RH regularly. I have a ton of lighting but haven't seen much in the realm of lighting spectrum for a Mantis. I currently have my hatching box on a cloning heat pad and have one red 2700k 23w and one blue 6500k 23w CFL bulb in a fixture above the cage and ambient lighting coming over from the next hood over.

Is that enough? Is it the correct spectrum of light? The red blue mix I'm using should simulate mid summer sunshine.

How about a dark period? Is it necessary for there to be a certain amount of "night" time for them? I'm currently running my lights 12 on and 12 off with fans running constantly.

Normal light that enters the house through the windows must be working just fine around here.

I have never had an issue with hatching oothecae and don't heat or put light on any of the oothecae that I have hatched.

Ooths don't need light to hatch, although I'm not sure about the spectrum of light needed for nymphs. I read about an experiment trying to change their color by putting them in tinted green and red containers, if I remember right most of the ones in the Green enclosures died (possibly because a spectrum of light was filtered out).

I can't say I'm not curious about what crops you are growing indoors :)

Ooths don't need light to hatch, although I'm not sure about the spectrum of light needed for nymphs. I read about an experiment trying to change their color by putting them in tinted green and red containers, if I remember right most of the ones in the Green enclosures died (possibly because a spectrum of light was filtered out).

I can't say I'm not curious about what crops you are growing indoors :)
Lol live the last line

I currently have an indoor grow room with 80 F. temps and 50+ RH regularly. I have a ton of lighting but haven't seen much in the realm of lighting spectrum for a Mantis. I currently have my hatching box on a cloning heat pad and have one red 2700k 23w and one blue 6500k 23w CFL bulb in a fixture above the cage and ambient lighting coming over from the next hood over.

Is that enough? Is it the correct spectrum of light? The red blue mix I'm using should simulate mid summer sunshine.

How about a dark period? Is it necessary for there to be a certain amount of "night" time for them? I'm currently running my lights 12 on and 12 off with fans running constantly.
I have no problem hatching garden mantis in my grow room under 1000 watt hps's

Latest posts