Ootheca pic

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galapoheros

Reaction score
Is this likely a Stagmomantis carolina ootheca (Texas)?

Dscn6416.jpg

looks just like my jade mantis ooth,Hierodula solomonis - jade mantis..im not saying thats what it is..it just looks like the one i have thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it in the w tx desert while hiking around Lajitas, brought it back. I kept about 10 babies, I'll post pics of some later. They are still real small. But looks like they are going to be diff colors.

Here's how they are looking now.

Dscn6506-1.jpg

Dscn6512-1.jpg

Dscn6513-1.jpg

Dscn6514-1.jpg

Looks like Stegmomantis limbata ooth. The nymphs are definatly Stegmomantis sp. Colors can range from brigh green to tan/cream to brown. Color variation is normal. Some may even keep the stripes on the legs.

I say stagmomantis, but I don't know which species. I can't even tell the difference between the stagmomantises even when they're adults. :(

Just an update post showing some growth. Also, I found an ooth in my backyard. It's the smaller one in the pic. Can anybody ID it? The top one that is much bigger is where these babies came from. The reason I grabbed it was because it was on the large side. Does the smaller ooth look like it's from a Stagmomantis specie too? I saw one that looked like the smaller one on the web and was labeled as a Stag ooth but I certainly don't believe everything I see or read. Most Stags I've seen on roads aren't that big but I have seen two really big ones, I kept both of them. I had a huge, stocky bright green one back in 1985 that I caught crossing the road at night, it was impressive.

Dscn6636.jpg

Dscn6640.jpg

Dscn6641.jpg

Dscn6643.jpg

Dscn6645.jpg

Those bulging eyes! Signature of the Stagmomantis!

Hmm... about that small ooth... I agree with Andrew that it looks like I. oratoria... but in Texas!? I didn't know their range extended that far east. Maybe someone has been releasing them there?

Those bulging eyes! Signature of the Stagmomantis!Hmm... about that small ooth... I agree with Andrew that it looks like I. oratoria... but in Texas!? I didn't know their range extended that far east. Maybe someone has been releasing them there?
Yeah, its an I. oratoria (i feel proud). But i didn't know their range extended that far either. But don't they like desert conditions anyway joosa? Good luck with them. Still waiting for mine to hatch in a couple of months (late May or June).

P.S. if you plan on raising them, you might want to ask joosa for help. ;) I've only kept adults, and as I said, my first ooths haven't hatched yet.

Well now! If I oritoria is found in Texas, I better get down to southern New Mexico and start looking. I know the species is found in southern Arizona. I would expect the species range to continue to slowly move East along the border areas where temps get good and hot. I had not expected the species to have moved so far so fast. Then again, maybe it just hitched a ride and skipped right past me!

OK, so the smaller one is I. oratoria, thanks ..glad it's interesting to some that I found it in my backyard here in TX. I live about 10 miles north of Austin. Well this ooth is empty, and I think some of those wasps I've read about had gotten to it a little too. There were a couple of long thin wasps that looked like mini Rove beetles with long wings moving around on the ooth, they looked like they were maybe a little longer than 1/4 inch. I don't know what the ooth attacking wasps look like. I'm out of town so I hope I left the young Stags with enough food.

Do you have anyone keeping the nymphs? You have to mist them too, so they can molt fine. I hope your not gone too long. It possibly was a parasitic wasp, or it could have been infertile.

where do you think I. oratoria will stop "advancing"? I thought Texas would be the final state. Good Luck.

Latest posts