Ooths from Tanzania

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]He there to anyone that got Ooths from Tanzania that Don.L was selling has anyones hatch out yet and if so what kind are did you get, also any pics?[/SIZE]

I am still waiting for mine to come out and say yellow there" ha ha" well what are they going to say.

I think I am the only one whose ooth I bought from DonL. had hatched!

Species: Idolomantis diabolica ooth

Date Received: June 6, 2009

Date Hatch: June 9, 2009

Number of Nymphs hatched: 39

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

Good luck guys!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Mine still haven't hatched nor do they smell bad so idk, any one eles get any bad or good?[/SIZE]
PErhaps you all should cut a little corner to expose the nymphs and see if they are still alive or they are hard like a grain of rice.

good luck to all.

francisco

PErhaps you all should cut a little corner to expose the nymphs and see if they are still alive or they are hard like a grain of rice.good luck to all.

francisco
[SIZE=14pt]Well I cut the 1st Ooth that had the wasp hatch out, looking in side they where some green but more black ones I gess the wasp, some where dry but some of the black ones where a little wet I gess the wasp whent bad, it looks like the outer ones are the dry ones be it green or black .[/SIZE]

Then the 2rd was dry in side and the nymphs where green, sucks.

So it look like they might of dryed out a little befor.

I had both Ooth on the same lid, with the foam, they where the same kind the giant flower mantis.

[SIZE=14pt]I did now, now why isn't there more people post that theres haven't hatched or have or they got a bucket of monkeys and not A Ooth. [/SIZE]

A note Pohchunyee my 2 Ooth look just like yours, the shape not the hatched part.

[SIZE=14pt]Well I've been needing to get back to this, I had hear back about what kind of Ooth he thoght they are; spiny flowers/#9 or Creobroter Gemmatus but there Ooths are a long thin kind also Creobroter sp live in Asia, also my Ooths look like Pohchunyee pics so its sad that we will never know what kind thay were.[/SIZE]

Mine didn't hatch either. (two Idolomantis ooths) I assume one reason more people haven't mentioned it is because they are still waiting and hoping for a hatch. It's kind of hard to open up an ooth of a species that you have been tring to get for a long time, when there is still some risk that you will kill it by opening it too soon.

I went back and read Yen Saw's notes on this species, and he said that the ooths hatched in 50 days. Since I've waited a bit longer than that, plus the time in transit and the time between when it was laid and when it was collected, I figured it was safe to open them. There were a bunch of dried up nymphs. About 75 in each ooth and they were pretty developed. It looks like they died a long time prior to me opening the ooth. I kept them at very close to 100% humidity the entire time they were in my care, so I know they didn't dry out here. No bad smell like Rebecca described. I assume that is because they were so dried out. I've had very old infertile ooths that my mantises have produced, and they were wet when opened. That is to say, the ova broke open and the ova were wet, even though they were over two months old. I've got to believe the ooths dried out too much in transit, or overheated in transit. I can't really blame Don for that, it's a risk you take, but it sure was a waste of my hard earned cash!! :angry: That's a lot of money to lay out for nothing in return, but again, that's a risk you take.

Rodney

[SIZE=14pt]Good point Rodney A+ man[/SIZE]

When I had started this topic it wasn't to blame anyone for the Ooths dying. It was to see who hatched what and to see how they were doing, also to see if anyone had gotten the kind I bought from Don and to see what they were? for that I know what they were not any Spiny flowers or any Cerobroter sp. that I could find. I bought the giant flower mantids Ooth, and I know he was selling other kinds of Ooths besides Idolomantis or the kind I got so still wondering about the rest of you out there anymore info on your W.C. Ooths from Tanzania?

Guys, have you ever thought of at least some ooths being killed purposedly by the African sellers in order to keep their business going? Or, if the seller doesn't know of it, by the collector (sellers and collectors are different persons)? Still as prone to buy such stuff? ;)

Guys, have you ever thought of at least some ooths being killed purposedly by the African sellers in order to keep their business going? Or, if the seller doesn't know of it, by the collector (sellers and collectors are different persons)? Still as prone to buy such stuff? ;)
Very good points there. However, there doesn't seem to be much choice with this species.

Well, that may be true, but it isn't that one can't get them from over here. There is express delivery, why isn't it used by more? You need permits? Go and get them - and don't tell me this isn't possible. Sincerely, there are possibilities, but if saving money is all that has priority it's no surprise that things end up like this.

Another point is that even those who get a good ooth don't manage to get the species into stock (with Yen as the single exception, which, by the way, holds also for other species). This is due to a lack of experience and a lack of willingness to listen to the stuff the more experienced breeders said. WC specimens are not for everyone, and this species particularly, that is the simple truth. WC specimens are by far not as hardy and used to captive conditions as established stocks are. You see, most excuses can be wiped away in a blink of an eye.

It's a shame that people don't see what this unholy practice of overexploiting a species is leading to in the long term.

Well, that may be true, but it isn't that one can't get them from over here. There is express delivery, why isn't it used by more? You need permits? Go and get them - and don't tell me this isn't possible. Sincerely, there are possibilities, but if saving money is all that has priority it's no surprise that things end up like this. Another point is that even those who get a good ooth don't manage to get the species into stock (with Yen as the single exception, which, by the way, holds also for other species). This is due to a lack of experience and a lack of willingness to listen to the stuff the more experienced breeders said. WC specimens are not for everyone, and this species particularly, that is the simple truth. WC specimens are by far not as hardy and used to captive conditions as established stocks are. You see, most excuses can be wiped away in a blink of an eye.

It's a shame that people don't see what this unholy practice of overexploiting a species is leading to in the long term.
Don't forget about mandatory UVB lights, or about the fact that misting from L6 upwards kills them and so on.