Orchid and Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxOfFrogs

Reaction score
Good morning. Just a quick post of my L3 Orchid Mantis on an orchid plant.

20181229-IMG_1003-Edit.jpg

Nice pic. Like how you used the flash to create the black backround, but I'm more of a white backround guy myslelf lol. The top petals edges are slightly out of focus so I suggest next time something like that happens you try to focus stack.

Thanks Graceface and Little Mantis :)

Thanks Cole 78 - the picture was taken in quite a rush, no flash (the subject was 2 feet from a black-tiled wall, with a window to the side letting sunlight in), no macro lens (just my kit 18-135mm).

Haven't tried focus stacking yet, but I wonder how it works if the subject is moving slightly? Would it be possible to stack only the petals?

Thanks Graceface and Little Mantis :)

Thanks Cole 78 - the picture was taken in quite a rush, no flash (the subject was 2 feet from a black-tiled wall, with a window to the side letting sunlight in), no macro lens (just my kit 18-135mm).

Haven't tried focus stacking yet, but I wonder how it works if the subject is moving slightly? Would it be possible to stack only the petals?
Ah, the black backround made me assume it was taken with flash. Should have known by the direction the shadows were coming there wasn't any flash. You might be able to just stack the petals, but I'm not the person to talk to about stacking. 

Ah, the black backround made me assume it was taken with flash. Should have known by the direction the shadows were coming there wasn't any flash. You might be able to just stack the petals, but I'm not the person to talk to about stacking. 
Thanks Cole 78. I'd like to try focus stacking so will have a look into it. Do you have a macro lens? Quite an investment fir a good one!

Thanks Cole 78. I'd like to try focus stacking so will have a look into it. Do you have a macro lens? Quite an investment fir a good one!
I actually have quite the odd setup. Not the usual DSLR+macro lens. I use a point and shoot. A bridge camera. A camera meant for taking pictures of birds from a distance or close ups of the moon. I realized this camera had 65x optical zoom and 210x digital zoom, so in theory, you could get decent macro with all that zoom. I then got a "macro lens". Not a true macro lens, since the camera was a point and shoot, not compatible with DSLR level macro lenses. This was a universal clip on macro lens. A x2.5 magnification. Meaning it would crisper up my photos, and give me a little added zoom! My setup works great, I use the Canon Powershot SX60 HS with the Raynox DCR-250 universal lens. Check out my thread in mantid photos to see some of the results.

Latest posts