Orchid Apt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good u guys, lot of imagination here! I would not use standing water though, it will quickly become a septic system and have mold. A nice cage should be allowed to dry out and then get rewet.
Agreed! A nymph can also drown pretty easily in a small puddle of water. I had one drown in a droplet that was too big on the bottom of his enclosure before I was using substrate. It was a sad day....

Looking good u guys, lot of imagination here! I would not use standing water though, it will quickly become a septic system and have mold. A nice cage should be allowed to dry out and then get rewet.
Agreed! A nymph can also drown pretty easily in a small puddle of water. I had one drown in a droplet that was too big on the bottom of his enclosure before I was using substrate. It was a sad day....

Got some sphagnum into my container. Looks much nicer now.

Indeed mold will form around too much moisture. With the ghost enclosure above I have the one set up like a frog tank kinda. It's working on the frogs so thought I would see how the ghost does like that as well. He molted again last night pretty big! I'll have to get a new pic. They can't actually get to the water, since to them it is technically under ground under the fish rocks, frogs substrate and live sheet moss. I have also adjusted my orchid spraying techniques so not so much water accumulates.

Here is the final thing I made yesterday waiting for a mantis to "move in".

plasticmansionwithsphagnum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some sphagnum into my container. Looks much nicer now.

Indeed mold will form around too much moisture. With the ghost enclosure above I have the one set up like a frog tank kinda. It's working on the frogs so thought I would see how the ghost does like that as well. He molted again last night pretty big! I'll have to get a new pic. They can't actually get to the water, since to them it is technically under ground under the fish rocks, frogs substrate and live sheet moss. I have also adjusted my orchid spraying techniques so not so much water accumulates.

Here is the final thing I made yesterday waiting for a mantis to "move in".

plasticmansionwithsphagnum.jpg
Is that a kitty litter container?

Some sort of detergent. I forget what brand.

I also have a paintball container like it but white and not clear. =p

Maybe if I cut it open and put a screen on it, it will work too. My shields are getting big I think I'm going to throw them in here. Already about an inch or so. Next molt I think will be too big for deli cup so have to move them.

Some sort of detergent. I forget what brand.

I also have a paintball container like it but white and not clear. =p

Maybe if I cut it open and put a screen on it, it will work too. My shields are getting big I think I'm going to throw them in here. Already about an inch or so. Next molt I think will be too big for deli cup so have to move them.
Very creative! I'm going to have to start looking at my household things a little differently!

i just got some ghosts from yen_saw a few days ago they are doing great

Cool deal.

It looks like Yen has some pretty exotic species in the classifieds.

I think I just spent my mantis budget for this week. Found a store selling 32oz deli cups and bought 25 of them and 50 lids. Now I have to design a good lid since mine are standard blank no holes lids.

Now I can rest easy knowing I have a couple extra emergency mantis deli cups on hand.

You really do kinda need a lot of supplies if you have a few of these lil mantids.

My sister just found and captured an Iris Oratoria (sp?) today in her back yard. She's going to look for more so we can maybe breed some. I'll try and get pics next time I head out to her house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts