Orchid behavior/temperament

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love2read

Reaction score
Everything I've read says that Orchids tend to me calm, docile mantids, but one of my girls is going against all that... My adult is sweet and calm, but my sub adult(L6, I believe) is extremely skiddish and freaks out when she sees me. :( This morning I was checking on them all and she saw me, started running around like crazy, and then dropped "dead". O.O I'd read about a few species doing that before, but never an Orchid.

Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned?

She also struck at me the first day she got here, when I was moving her to her new home, but I figured she was just hungry. She's a VORACIOUS eater!

Yeah I've had both really calm and really nasty females nymphs. Once adult they tend to calm down a bit and don't get spooked as easy. Try handling her a little more, let her walk onto your hand do this most days for a few weeks she should get used to you a bit more.

You might very well freak out if a giant suddenly reached in and tried to grab you. Some mantises are just more timid than others and need a more gentle slow approach.

I agree with Toxic. Be careful never to startle her. Let her see you advance when you go to handle her. They are really a sweet mantid and this should be expected once the skiddish stage is changed into the more typical behavior.

Thank you for the replies! I've been leaving them alone so the could settle in, but will start with handling tomorrow. Hopefully that will help!

When she spooked this morning I was just peeking at her in her container, I hadn't even touched it al all. I guess my face is just that scary first thing in the morning, rofl!

Latest posts