Orchid female eats (photos & video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous pics! (How many times have I said that to you precarious?? :p )

I also love your soundtracks, each one is unique and they fit your vids sooooo well.

Cheers bud

Henry: This is one of the best so far. It is partly so interesting to me because I also have some Hymenopus at this stage with them in communal situation till tomorrow. So the first adult molt was last night, a young stud and his two girl friends (one pure white and one with the pink ruffles) are awaiting their wing buds. I do need to apply the heat to the girls. The comb-like spurs appear to be for cleaning and perhaps also somewhat defensive. Mama taught my sisters to always leave something on your plate and to eat all the roughage. Your gal in the vid left one wing, but polished off the legs that a lot of mantids discard. Great work as usual man, you are an awesome artist!

Henry: This is one of the best so far. It is partly so interesting to me because I also have some Hymenopus at this stage with them in communal situation till tomorrow. So the first adult molt was last night, a young stud and his two girl friends (one pure white and one with the pink ruffles) are awaiting their wing buds. I do need to apply the heat to the girls. The comb-like spurs appear to be for cleaning and perhaps also somewhat defensive. Mama taught my sisters to always leave something on your plate and to eat all the roughage. Your gal in the vid left one wing, but polished off the legs that a lot of mantids discard. Great work as usual man, you are an awesome artist!
Thanks for all the positive feedback. :)

Wow, that's pretty risky keeping them together. The females are very aggressive.

Don't forget the females molt a total of 7 times, the males only 5. Your male will be dead long before the females become adult. That's why you have to slow them down and speed the females up. :(

If I were you I'd place an ad to see if anyone has females ready to go because the males don't last long. Then see if anyone has males once your females are ready.

I was not aware that the males are that short-lived. I can do as you say and see if there is anyone needing a ready to go male. Then when the two gals are adult, I can procure the right aged male. Thanks for the tip.

Rich

I was not aware that the males are that short-lived. I can do as you say and see if there is anyone needing a ready to go male. Then when the two gals are adult, I can procure the right aged male. Thanks for the tip.

Rich
Yeah, don't let him go to waste. We need to get multiple cultures going. Stud him and get an ooth or two for your trouble. I have 2 males that may be in time with your females. We'll see how it plays out. ;)

Yup, I meant to say "I see them on both sexes of all species". I've been noticing them whenever I take photos. I'd be willing to bet it's all about grooming. Pretty cool. They have built in scrub brushes. :p
Very cool indeed, I am wondering why I have never heard or read about them before. :mellow:

I was curious about the mantid's brushes, and if other insects have them, and so far I have seen them on my roaches as well! My Blaberus mutts have them and so do my Gromphadorhinas!

Does anyone know if these grooming brushes have been documented in any books or articles?

For my own curiosity, I will be checking the forelegs of some insects that aren't Dictyoptera.

To answer my own question:

A quick google search led me to a document about Mosquito grooming, and they have combs on fore and rear legs. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool indeed, I am wondering why I have never heard or read about them before. :mellow:

I was curious about the mantid's brushes, and if other insects have them, and so far I have seen them on my roaches as well! My Blaberus mutts have them and so do my Gromphadorhinas!

Does anyone know if these grooming brushes have been documented in any books or articles?
I'm not up on the scientific end of things. I just kind of stumbled onto this but observation seems to confirm they are indeed bristles specifically for grooming. At first I thought maybe they had something to do with breeding because some insects have special hooks and claws just for hanging on while mating. But when I saw them on both sexes that blew that theory. I've since got to watch how they use them and it's pretty ingenious. I always wondered how rubbing a smooth carapace over their eyes could clean or collect water. Now we know how it works.

I'm not up on the scientific end of things. I just kind of stumbled onto this but observation seems to confirm they are indeed bristles specifically for grooming. At first I thought maybe they had something to do with breeding because some insects have special hooks and claws just for hanging on while mating. But when I saw them on both sexes that blew that theory. I've since got to watch how they use them and it's pretty ingenious. I always wondered how rubbing a smooth carapace over their eyes could clean or collect water. Now we know how it works.
Thanks to your great and revealing photos and videos, I have another cool insect fact for the kids. :D I plan on doing another "bug show and tell" for my daughter's kindergarten class this school year. The one we did for her Pre-K class must have been cool because the staff asked me to do it for 2 other classes! This time around, I will have way more information to get them thinking about, before they are too old to appreciate "bugs".

Thanks to your great and revealing photos and videos, I have another cool insect fact for the kids. :D I plan on doing another "bug show and tell" for my daughter's kindergarten class this school year. The one we did for her Pre-K class must have been cool because the staff asked me to do it for 2 other classes! This time around, I will have way more information to get them thinking about, before they are too old to appreciate "bugs".
That's awesome! Feel free to print out any of my photos you may find useful.

Yup, I meant to say "I see them on both sexes of all species". I've been noticing them whenever I take photos. I'd be willing to bet it's all about grooming. Pretty cool. They have built in scrub brushes. :p
You bet! As I mentioned its like a little toothbrush for their faces.

Edit: Just saw that you answered your own question

Latest posts