Orchid Food Quantity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean

Reaction score
My friend just gave me an L2 Orchid mantis as he thought he would be able to keep it but cant at his university. its probably a good thing as he kinda bought it on impulse. this is my first flower mantis but i feel im up to the challenge. Just one question though. Ive been feeding it 1 fruit fly every 2 days. Is this enough or could it have more. Im not trying to speed it up or slow it down as its the only orchid i have. what would you guys say is a comfortable amount?

I would feed it at least a few more flies at a time.

I agree. Feed it 3-4 flies every other day, and as it gets bigger, increase the amount of food. If the mantid's abdomen gets hugely swollen with food, don't feed for a few days or reduce the amount.

Ok thanks guys. What would you recomend moving it onto when it gets to big for fruit flies?

Houseflies or something around the same size. I get housefly pupa that can be stored in the fridge from Spiderpharm.com. There are lots of other places to buy as well.

L2 orchid can handle house fly without problem, L4 can tackle blue bottle flies too. Orchid is always aggressive towards food except a day before and after molting.

I get housefly pupa that can be stored in the fridge from Spiderpharm.com
I like Spiderpharm flies too!

Latest posts