Orchid male still on female after several days of mating on and off

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emckenzie24

Reaction score
He's been on her for days, connections here and there. Drumming every now and then still. She seems pretty cool with it somehow but shouldn't they be done by now?

If they have mated you can just remove him. What you describe is pretty typical for them. It is likely his way of protecting his paternity.

Remove him to recharge his little battery, or you may just find him to have gone missing, will except a pair of wings on the bottom. You can put him back in a few days after he eats and drinks if you want to remate them. :)

If they have been really coupled for sure, there is really little good that can come out of his being mounted any longer. As some others have hinted, there can only be one more drastic effect and that is that he looses his head over his infatuation to remain mounted. If you need the boy and you are looking out for his best interest, take him gently off of her and let him remate her after about five oothecae, and all will be well.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, there is no need to separate them at all. Just continue feeding the male with a small prey, like bluebottle fly, once a day, and spray some water right before his head on female's wings so as he may drink. When you offer a prey to him, he will caught it immedietly and eat while sitting on female's back, and then he will copulate again as soon as he will be ready, usually in a day or two.

Female should be given plenty of water and food too, of course.

Okay great thought so thank you everyone! He's back in his enclosure now eating :) I'm sure he's pretty tired. He resisted sooooo much when I tried to take him off her though. Very cute.

Thanks again!

Latest posts