Orchid Mantis (Hymenopus Coronatus)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I though I'd show you all what these lovely mantids look like when they are hatching.....

DSC_00094.jpg

DSC_00063.jpg

DSC_00113.jpg

DSC_00073.jpg

And a few instars later .....

2007-10-05_008.jpg

2007-10-05_007.jpg

2007-10-05_003.jpg

There is something devilish, yet very seductive about this mantid. With the red-black combination it really looks like a devil, but then it changes into something more beautiful, and far more dangerous at the same time...

Man, can't wait until I get my hands on some hatchlings that my friend promised me!

P.S. Don't drop the male into the box with the female, put him on her back instead, she will be more submissive that way.

Hopefully i`ll be seeing exactly the same as Rob`s photos someday :lol:

Beautiful Masdevallia! Do you keep orchid plants? I love keeping Masdevallia & Dracula orchids. It's nice to place your orchid mantis with the orchid plants. Great pictures too!

Hopefully i`ll be seeing exactly the same as Rob`s photos someday :lol:

Beautiful Masdevallia! Do you keep orchid plants? I love keeping Masdevallia & Dracula orchids. It's nice to place your orchid mantis with the orchid plants. Great pictures too!
Yes I love orchids ! I have not had any Masdevallia for some years - they are hard to come by in the UK (thankyou Hamm ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
One question - how long can I keep them together?

I keep five in each, relatively large container with some twigs and sticks - they seem to be comfortable in there. I dump many fruit flies and some aphids to provide a whole lot of food for them (they are only three days old, and some have realy swollen abdomens already).

but I know I cannot do this forever - when do you separate them?