Orchid mantis won't open one of her arms.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
I just bought an orchid mantis about a week ago. She came in, and wouldn't open her right raptor arm. She also refused food, but that was likely because she was getting ready to molt (she did today).

But after the moot I see her walking and she still won't open that arm. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Is there something I can do for this?

She's L5

It seems like that arm may be damaged. After a few more molts it will be corrected that's all you can do. As long as the mantis has the other arm it can still eat. I first-hand know about this because I had a mantis that I found in the wild with the same problem. If it isn't damaged then it may be because of stress because one of my mantises was eating just fine and then they refused to open their arms to eat and eventually died. Maybe this mantis was extra stressed being shipped. Let me know if either of these sound like they could be you problem. Give us a video so we can confirm what Is wrong with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The arm is most likely damaged. I had a ghost whose arm broke during L5, stayed like that till he died of old age, but managed to eat well.

I just had a mantis arrive with the same problem. After a few days she started using the leg normally. If the mantis was able to molt that is a very good sign.

try to gently grab that claw and make it move up and down a bit sometimes that works

Latest posts