Orchid Mantis Won't stop pacing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITzZUBERDOG

Reaction score
Hi guy,

Today i received my first mantis in the post, I set up the vivarium accordingly with the correct humidity at around 70% and a temp of 27, since she's arrived she eaten one brown cricket however since then she hasn't stopped racing around and on the top of the viv, theirs an orchid in the middle with lots of branches inside but she hasn't stopped pacing around.

Many thanks for any help

Olly

She may just be excited to be in her new home. They love to explore and climb all over the place. Have you found her resting yet?

This species is on my mantis bucket list. Did you think the mantis would prefer the flower for a hunting spot?  Studies show not only do they not do that, they pick spots where they will be the flower in the preys eyes. All else being equal the prey will be more attracted to the mantis than the flowers. I have wondered why some put live orchids with their mantis. I would rather make the orchid mantis the star (imho) of the habitat.

My first impulse is exploring new area. Second would be is your mantis trying to figure out where to hang out to get the flying prey?

By the way how old is this mantis?

Your new mantis is probably just exploring the new surroundings, trying to find good perches, that sort of thing. My mantis shows similar behavior when I handle her or need to swap enclosures for whatever reason.

Hi guy,

Today i received my first mantis in the post, I set up the vivarium accordingly with the correct humidity at around 70% and a temp of 27, since she's arrived she eaten one brown cricket however since then she hasn't stopped racing around and on the top of the viv, theirs an orchid in the middle with lots of branches inside but she hasn't stopped pacing around.

Many thanks for any help

Olly
I would suggest you do not feed her crickets. Orchid mantises especially require flying insects for health reasons. If it is young, you should probably be feeding it fruit flies. 

I would suggest you do not feed her crickets. Orchid mantises especially require flying insects for health reasons. If it is young, you should probably be feeding it fruit flies. 
Ah okay I'll get some in, what sort of repercussions could she have now  :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

Latest posts