Orchid mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okoboji22

Reaction score
this is my subadult male orchid mantis jinx

IMG_0441.JPG

One more thing, is assymetrical coloring normal for this type of mantis?

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice looking mantis! I have a L5-L6 female orchid, and she destroys any food I give her lol. As far a color goes... she has symmetrical coloring but I'm not sure about the species in general..

That's a nice looking mantis! I have a L5-L6 female orchid, and she destroys any food I give her lol. As far a color goes... she has symmetrical coloring but I'm not sure about the species in general..
Lol I know what you mean by destroying the food. When he was smaller there were always these giant moths outside of my house that had a wingspan 3x his length and were at least 2x the mass of him. I put one in his cage one day because I was low on food and wanted to see if he would even attempt to catch a meal like that. He grabbed it and i thought he would eat like less than half but I checked on hour later and all that was left were wings and a very full mantis. After feeding him those it got to the point where it only took like 3 of these moths to get him to his next moult. I have a picture of him holding one of those moths if you like too see.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! That is a seriously huge moth compared to that mantis! He ate the whole thing????????!!!!!! He must have been really fat afterwards! 

Latest posts