Orchid mating and a bit of the menagerie

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
I left these two riding last night and this morning a connection. Unfortunately the male that was paired with another female got munched without a connection. Hopefully this stud can do some double duty soon.

DSCN3365.jpg

This is one of my wide arms. the arms are getting wider.

DSCN3390.jpg

These are my mating silkworm moths. They mate as soon as they emerge. I wish mantid were that easy. The males, if unpaired will sense the females before eclosing and wait for them to emerge and BAM! They're connected.

DSCN3406.jpg

This is my male shield before and after his adult molt. Just waiting on the ladies to mature now.

DSCN3364.jpg

DSCN3369.jpg

DSCN3370.jpg

And last, but definitely NOT least, a grumpy veiled that woke up on the wrong side of the cage. He had a restless night. Maybe he was sleepwalking :lol: , but I heard him moving about on the screening of the cage last night and this morning he seemed a little more grumpy than usual. He might be due for a shed soon.

DSCN3405.jpg

DSCN3403.jpg

And...THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

Wow your chams got big! :blink: Maybe I'm just now noticing cause I haven't been on the forum in FOREVER. :p

Nah, but she's next on his agenda. :lol: They disconnected a while ago and I removed him to be sure he didn't get munched.
Lol. Your guy only lasted through one connect. Then he was dinner. I highly recommend separating after they disconnect. I was too trusting.

Updates...

The silkmoths have mated, laid eggs, and have made for good meals.

Fattening up a double shield female for mating

DSCN3513.jpg

But...She's not having it today... :lol:

DSCN3515.jpg

...And drum-roll, please... :clap:

DSCN3517.jpg

It's not the biggest, but I know she was mated successfully. The male is with the 3rd female now. He has been riding her since yesterday, but has not made a connection that I've seen. If it goes like the others, he should hook up tonight. Let's just hope I get them incubated right. :helpsmilie:

Latest posts