Orchid mating success!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5Via

Reaction score
My first time trying to breed any mantis species at all, so I'm super excited! 

I introduced the male yesterday morning and he sat on her back for about 8 hours before they connected for at least 20 minutes. 

Two hours after that she started wandering around and fluttered her wings. To me it seemed like she was annoyed by the male and tried to get him to go away, so I took him out before anything bad could happen. 

I hope that was the right move? Since I have no experience I worry about every little thing 😅

I'm pretty sure she's fertile (right?), but I'm wondering if I should let them mate again in a couple of days just to be sure? I also have a second male for her who's currently subadult, will try to mate them once he's mature. Would love some advice from you guys on how to proceed, how to improve, etc. 

Super excited about (hopefully) having lots of little orchid babys soon! 

DSC_0826.JPG

(this is the only decent picture of them I have, I took another one of them connecting but noticed later it was super blurry) 

Gratz on the mating. You can try to mate them again. but if your girl lays an ooth, treat it like a fertile ooth. I hope she will give you a lot of babies.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I mated them again a few days ago, he stayed on her for about two days and they connected for at least 3 hours, so now I'm sure she's fertile. 

DSC_0870.JPG

DSC_0854.JPG

My second male just had his final molt, but I guess there's no point in mating him with my girl until after she's laid her first ooths?

Thanks for any advice! Right now I'm waiting for her to lay her first ooth, I'm feeding her well but I don't want to overdo it because I'm scared of her becoming oothbound. 

DSC_0865.JPG

My second male just had his final molt, but I guess there's no point in mating him with my girl until after she's laid her first ooths?
Remating only improves fertility. One mating generally is all you need. If you have males, keep remating. :D

Congratulations on your mating successes!

Latest posts