Orchid Nymph

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giesle

Reaction score
I received some L2-3 nymphs a few days ago. Got a chance to take a couple of pics this weekend. I can already tell I really love this species.

Orchid-Mantis-Nymph.jpg

Orchid-Mantis-Praying.jpg

I love mine too! waited sooooo long to get them!

It's so excitting to see them get bigger after molting.

I really hope I can get these to adult and mate them.

I have learned alot in the past year, and I know why I had such bad luck

with my cilnia mismolts; they were too heavy at last molt and lost their grip!!

Now I know how to fix that, thanks to what I have learned about idolo's having

the same problem.

Now I know, no more net cages until they have completed their last molt!!

Lovely shots, too bad the first one has some wierd crusties on its body, otherwise perfect.

Thanks everyone.

HOW is that last picture NOT your avatar!?!?!
I tried to make it my avatar after you saying that, but I keep getting an error and it won't save it.
Very nice. Aren't they great posers?
Yes. They are incredible posers. I had no idea.
Lovely shots, too bad the first one has some wierd crusties on its body, otherwise perfect.
I can see how some people might not like it and it would be easy enough to remove in Photoshop, but I personally thought it added to the image, since it's the same color as part of the mantis and I was going for a total camouflage look.
[is that pollen?
Yes, it is. The pollen sacs on these flowers are about half the size of a pin head. I've been seeing a group of these every day when I run my dogs through an open field. Picking a few was a priority as soon as I got some nymphs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I obviously figured it out. :) I was uploading a pic that was too large in kilobytes.

Nice.

The Art Director in me says you could crop it in another 15-20% to make the mantis more obvious, or leave it is, if you want it to be more artsy. :)

The colors are fantastic!

PS; I also like the pollen. I'm instantly questioning where it came from, what THAT adventure was like, and so on. Reminds me of how cool it was, that in the most recent King Kong movie, we actually MEET Kong - with battle scars already in place. I got an almost instant sense of what life on that island must have been like for him.

Of course, it is just pollen... I might be reading too much into it...

:)

Nice.

The Art Director in me says you could crop it in another 15-20% to make the mantis more obvious, or leave it is, if you want it to be more artsy. :)

The colors are fantastic!
This is great. I'm getting more critiques here than the photo critique sites that I use. I actually post-processed the picture with a tighter crop and then decided it needed a little more on the left and just a tiny bit on top, so went back to the original pic and got some more room. Now you have me wondering if I should have just left it alone. Can't crop the bottom or right because the toes are touching the frame on both. I just felt like it needed a little more space from where the light was coming from.

Latest posts