Orchids communal?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hierodula

Reaction score
How communal are orchids? I was wondering, cause I am thinking of getting some soon.

I lost an L2 nymph once when another bit off its head. Usually it's not a big problem until L3.

I've kept adult males together in the same net enclosure this spring without any issues. Of course, there is always a risk. I had surplus males from an ooth that hatched that produced a higher percentage of males than females. Ironically I need males now.

One of the more aggressive species. I wouldn't put them together unless you just had an ooth hatch and absolutely needed to.

I raised 3 nymphs to sub-adult without any problems. Keep them well fed, and the container large, and you'll be good!
Maybe you're lucky, but I had 4 orchids 3 years ago in a 10 gallon cage. They were always well fed. I lost 2 in the first week. Separated them after that.

Keeping agressive mantids communally is always risky. Especially when it works for a while. Then when you least expect it, there are mantid parts lying on the bottom of the enclosure and you are there too late to find out which of the remaining mantids was the culprit. Tammy W. pointed out to me and I now concur that it only takes one in the group to be the source of the havoc. So if you really value the particular species and you have alternative enclosure possibilities, it is best not to keep most mantids communally. I have done it a lot and have lost a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: