Orchids not mating :( help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emckenzie24

Reaction score
Hi! I have an adult female orchid and three adult males (who I fear are getting a little old now) and every attempt I make with all three of them fails. The first time one of the males connected but only for about 10 minutes. After that, every time the males have run away, not noticed her at all (even when I put them on her for a second), or not moved. Mostly they don't approach or show interest. I have tried separating the males from the female, still same reactions. Any suggestions?

Increasing the temperature may help. But if they don't mate, idk what else to do cause it seems like your doin everything. good luck. ;)

Increasing the temperature may help. But if they don't mate, idk what else to do cause it seems like your doin everything. good luck. ;)
Ok I will try that thank you. How do you all normally do it? I was putting them in a big open box and just keeping track of them, feeding the female, etc. the first time they kept still but none of the other times.

I wouldn't put them in a box. I used to use a net cage. There is a thread I started that is pinned and shows my technique. Worked for orchids too. If it didn't work I would just put the male on the females back. That seemed to work. But first make sure they are warm enough.

Orchids are hard to mate if done to early, females have to be at least 4 wks. Putting males on the back works and give her a worm or something so she moves her butt, he knows he is on her when that happens, soon you should hear his tapping on her wings, if u hear that , LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Check your humidity. Since this is a species that thrives in humid conditions, make sure that the humidity is above 60% since things have not worked at a lower humidity ( I am guessing lower) and with the incresed temp, it will take more moisture to give you a higher R/H. It is strange that what does not work at one set of conditions, will at others. If you do what Rick and Rebecca have suggested, placing them in a large open area where the male sees that he has a place to flee in if needed, and the female is at least 30 days mature, with the males's age, you may succeed. I wish you all the luck needed.

Thank you all I will make sure to do all of these things as suggested. I have used the techniques from Rick's post with some success, but I think you are all right about the temp and humidity. Thank you!

Latest posts