OUCH! MANTIS BITES!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANTIS DUDE

Reaction score
This is sort of a response to my other topic about mantis bites. So here's my other questions: When a mantis bites down on the soft flesh of your finger, does it hold on? If so, whats the best way to get it of? :huh: Also, Id like to know how sharp are mantis claws? Are they basiccly little needles? Last question (everyone who owns a mantis should know this, lol :) ), what hurts more a mantis pinching you with claws or a mantis biting you? :lol:

first of all: mantis jaws really holds on in flesh so hold him at the prothorax to make him let go.

second, bites hurt more.

They have to hold on in order to bite. Otherwise, it's pretty difficult.

I've had a mantis hold on to me before but didn't bite. I'm sure that biting would be shockingly painful.

Im just gonna add one more question: How fast does it take for a mantis to be able to grab you and chomp down on you finger? Im guesing mabe half a second?

I have been pierced many, many times by the points on the ends of the front legs. They are like needles. This only happens if you grab the mantis from behind or something and it reaches around and sticks you.

I have been pierced many, many times by the points on the ends of the front legs. They are like needles. This only happens if you grab the mantis from behind or something and it reaches around and sticks you.
So the best way to get your mantis into a handleing position is to put your hand up to the mantis in front, and sort of give him a little push on to your hand?

If you can imagine 50 needles poking you in one contained area, that's kind of how it is. If you've taken a physics class, you'll know about pressure = force / area. 50 needles is a lot of area so there isn't that much pressure. It didn't hurt me but some people said it made them bleed. Maybe I'm just tough but I don't think so.

You have alot of double posts. Yah those pinchers are very sharp. One dug one in to my finger cuz i was pulling it off me.

I've never been intentionally attacked by a mantis. As a child however my first mantis, a wild caught adult Chinese mantis accidentally grabbed my finger instead of the cricket when I was hand feeding her. It prickled a little but as soon as I tried to pull away she released and I went about feeding her the cricket. Didn't even break the skin.

I've found most mantises aren't in that much of a hurry to attack unless they are being improperly handled. Even if they do attack the most you'll get is maybe a little skin piercing and some superficial blood. The hamster an ever popular children's pet would have a far worse bite so try not to stress yourself worrying about being bitten.

It totally depends on the species of mantid, sex, ect. I been chewed on by a M. religiosa male, and it hurt real bad. It didn't strike me as food, or even bite me. It just reached down on my arm and started nibbling (moisture). But I've been stabbed plenty of times by Iris oratiria males and females, who don't hurt as much. So I'd say biting/chewing would be the most painful in my personal experience.

Although when I was in Northern California on summer, I caught a Female M. relgiosa, and rode my bike 1 mile back to my uncle's house with it in my hand. You can bet she wasn't happy about that, and she did draw blood with her forearms pressed against my hand. Though you can chalk that experience to inproper handling, the incidents were pure innocent. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
my mantis has only struck me once, didnt really hurt but did make me jump

he is not adult yet tho plus he is really timid, not alot aggrivates him

i have only ever been attacked by a mantis once, and i deserved it. i was far less experienced and enthiusiastic and had run out of livefood for (i forget the species, maybe d.dessicata?) the mantis. it was starving, literally a day or two from death, so wouldve struck at absolutely anything. since then i have never been struck by a mantis, i dont see why they would unless you are really being very brash and pissing them off, really hungry if you try to in any way pinch/grab them.

Last edited by a moderator: