Oxy nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkayum

Reaction score
How long would they survive without food?

I had a bad luck with the pet store in my area. They sold me an older culture infested with teeny tiny white mites. I wasn't happy and returned it & refunded it also. I asked for a newer culture of FFs. I have to wait till few days or the next week.

Last time they ate was four days ago.

I had two oxys molted to L3 last night and the another remaining oxys are L2. What can I do to catch small insects for my oxys?

Any advice will be appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend ordering a culture of fruitflies online, there are lots of decent, reputable options. The culture will likely last much longer than anything you will find in a local pet store. You can pick the seller that best meets your needs (e.g. find someone located nearby and can ensure it will arrive quickly.)

Once they reach ~L4, your options expand: small crickets, roaches, and houseflies. Personally, I like to transition nymphs from fruitflies straight to bluebottles. :)

Do as Lunarstorm suggested, get some ff's online(Rebecca-Carey). Till then you can catch some outside with ripe fruit or vinegar traps, old banana's work well.

Do as Lunarstorm suggested, get some ff's online(Rebecca-Carey). Till then you can catch some outside with ripe fruit or vinegar traps, old banana's work well.
beat me to it, get a 2L bottle (don't know in oz, um the biggest coke bottle :D ) and cut the top 1/4 off. Place some bananas in there, invert the top 1/4 place inside the bottom 3/4 of the bottle & sticky tape it.

Leave this outside for about 1 hour and you should have some FF in there.

Its easier to get the out if you have super fine mesh that you can cover the bananas with, then you just put the bottle in the fridge & they all fall onto the mesh and you can move them out easily :D

Good luck.

Also if this doesn't work go hunting for some aphids off some rose bushes (if you don't have any walk around the block & check in peoples front yards) I don't think anyone will mind you taking some aphid pests :D

Thanks guys!

I got a few FFs from outside & hopefully my oxys are okay with these wild little ffs till tomorrow or this wed. I already ordered the ffs today.

So much appreciated!

Latest posts