Oxypilus distinctus breeding diary!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gruby626

Reaction score
So here I will place some info & pics of my O. distincus breeding project ;)

Here is adult female, that turned adult on 23.03.2008:

samicaimago2ug6.jpg

Here is adult male, that turned adult on 03.04.2008:

samiecimago2fo9.jpg

They mated today (10.04.2008) for 1 hour 23 minutes - I think it's a bit short, but maybe it's normal (anyway i will pair them again probably tomorrow or in a couple of days).

Here are some pics:

Just before mating:

kopulacjaoxypilusw5jn8.jpg

During:

kopulacjaoxypilusw4ht9.jpg

kopulacjaoxypilusw3zu7.jpg

kopulacjaoxypilusw2fr5.jpg

kopulacjaoxypiluswnp4.jpg

I hope I will suceed, because it's the first time I'm trying to breed anything, so keep your fingers crossed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! What a neat species! It is amazing how its body mimics a grasshopper! I suppose that is what its main food source is wherever their natural environment invironment is. By the time its prey realized that it wasnt another grasshopper it would be too late.

Crack photography too!

Yesterday my female produced an ooth ;)

kokon2fw8.jpg

kokonou8.jpg

Wish me good luck ;)

PS how long should I wait with my male/female, before i can mate them again? I know 1 time should be enough for all ooths, but i would like to mate them again, just to be sure ;)

:D One of my ooths of this species hatched yesterday :D . The babies are so little they look too small for fruit flies.

I think your meant to mate them again after a few ooths.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as by now, my male always runs away when he sees the female ;/

Today I cought my female placing her second ooth, here some pics:

skladakokonnt9.jpg

skladakokon2xk9.jpg

skladakokon3jy2.jpg

Fantastic photos. Don't they remind you of the movie "Aliens" when they're laying!
yeah they do ;)

By now I have 4 ooth's form this female, and I tried to mate my second pair, but the female is running away, so I guess I have to wait a litle bit ;P

How long does it take for the first shed to happen? For some of mine they took around a month but then for the second moult they took about a week.

How long does it take for the first shed to happen? For some of mine they took around a month but then for the second moult they took about a week.
I don't know actually, because I'm breeding them for the first time ;)

I also have a question:

They came out of the ooth on 7th of may, and till now only 1 out of 9 ate a little fruit fly.

Does anyone know if it's normal or something is wrong?