Oxypilus distinctus - some questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gruby626

Reaction score
1. How long should i wait after males & females final moult, before i can mate them?

2. How long approximately does it take for female to make the ooth (i keep it in 28-30*C)

3. What conditions should i keep the ooth in? The same as mantids or some special treatment?

I guess thats it for now ;)

1. How long should i wait after males & females final moult, before i can mate them?2. How long approximately does it take for female to make the ooth (i keep it in 28-30*C)

3. What conditions should i keep the ooth in? The same as mantids or some special treatment?

They say two weeks for most males, and 1 for females, thats what they say. I keep mine in community housing most of the time, so it kind of takes care of itself, the females always end up eating the males, but the ooths are fertile so I cannot complain... :unsure: (the male would, but can't cause his head is gone) :lol: .

Sorry couldn't help my self.

The ooths will do fine at the same temp you keep the parents, just spray it every other day or so with warm water and it should hatch within about 4 weeks time, give or take a week!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. How long should i wait after males & females final moult, before i can mate them?2. How long approximately does it take for female to make the ooth (i keep it in 28-30*C)

1. Something around 6-10 days for both sexes.

2. Mine started laying ooths around the 10th day of being adult, this carried on - invetrals between each ooth were approx 2-4 days,

3. 27-28C - mist every day, ooths can tolerate both humid, and dry conditions - but I'd rather err on the safe side and spray every evening.

Thanks for answers.

Should I sprey directly onto the ooth, or just mist the cage, where the ooth is?

Last edited by a moderator: