P. chlorophaea, O. distinctus, and Rhombodera spp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..

You can see the wingbuds:

35159449tq3.jpg

And because females don't have wings when they are adult, it's a male.

Here is a pic of a male at the same stage:

49644000qj1.jpg

And here is a pic of an subadult male:

19354060nu0.jpg

And that's why i know it needs two more sheds ;)

Nice picsYour O. distinctus is a male and needs 2 more times to shed before he becomes an adult.
Would you reccommend I slow the males down? How many more molts do the females have than the males?

Nice pics. The shield is developing there. should be more apparent after another molt. great job Andrew :D
Thanks! Really looking forward to the next molt.

If the males and females are in the same stage i would slow the males down.

I don't have any adult yet, but I suppose the female need one shed more.

Can anyone confirm that ?

If the males and females are in the same stage i would slow the males down.I don't have any adult yet, but I suppose the female need one shed more.

Can anyone confirm that ?
Yes, females shed one more time than males do.

Well..You can see the wingbuds:

35159449tq3.jpg

And because females don't have wings when they are adult, it's a male.

Here is a pic of a male at the same stage:

49644000qj1.jpg

And here is a pic of an subadult male:

19354060nu0.jpg

And that's why i know it needs two more sheds ;)
Wow, sharp eyes. Do you tell if a female's adult when the abdomen is horizontalish?

Wow, sharp eyes. Do you tell if a female's adult when the abdomen is horizontalish?
I dont know because I don't have adult females yet, but I read this on the forum a while ago from Christian: 'subadult females have a white dot on each side of the abdomen. Adult ones have an additional smaller black spot behind the white one.'

I'd slow down the males, their lifespan was surprisingly short, I barely made it with mating (the female had one more moult to go, so she had to catch up to the males). One male died after about four weeks, when the female was only ten days after the last molt, and she seemed agressive toward the male. Few days later, out of desperation I put the other male in her container, as she was reluctant to eat - they mated, and on the same day she laid an ooth - but the male died shortly after mating! So - better watch out, otherwise you'll end up with no males.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple pics for now, will get more tomorrow when there's some light outside...

Idolomorpha sp. ootheca

Can't wait for it to hatch! :D The ooth is actually white, but I took the photo using a heat lamp for light, so it looks kinda orangey.

Idolomorpha_sp_ooth2.jpg

Idolomorpha_sp_ooth.jpg

And another offtopic one. One of my venus flytraps heading into winter dormancy.

VFT_Dormant_07.jpg

winter dormancy?!

I never kenw they did that, when i had one i threw it out when it went like that :rolleyes:

@ Morpheus - Yep! Most people think they are tropical plants, but they arent. :rolleyes:

Nothin much to report today...

L6 P. chlorophaea

S. limbata...L3 methinks

Tried (emphasis on tried) to take a few pics of one of my female Oxypilus today. Can anyone tell how many molts she has left? She's around 1cm long.

IMG_3235.jpg

Just wanted to share a couple pics I just took for a friend. Horrible pics(especially the lighting in that first pic...eww) but you can see just how small the female is here.

Both are subadult.

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

Hi!

Could you tell me which instar of Terax Unicorn can take down a fouse fly? I do not know how bug this species gets throughout the molts - but I kinda have to prepare for supplying food for around 28-30 of them.

By the way - how's you I. lateralis ooth doing?

Crud! So sorry for not positing here sooner!

Looking at my log (hey, guess it did come in handy) I started them on houseflies at L3.

And the I. lateralis ooth never hatched. :(

Maybe I will get some more when the weather warms up, but for now, it looks like I'll have to wait.

Photo of one of my subadult Rhombodera.

2221811167_abf2a4d02d_b.jpg

One of my Oxypilus molted today! I'm thinking she is probably subadult, but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me? Adult or subadult?

2239641477_1467aba12e_b.jpg

2240411000_94a21203f5_o.jpg

2239640205_5607d3ac9a_b.jpg

2240444242_6f8626a0b4_o.jpg

That's an adult femafe right there, you can tell by the shape of the abdomen.

Small, isn't it?