P.W. Mating Tips?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
I have my two PW's together right now. The male mounted (VERY quickly) but won't connect. I've tried blowing, darkness, and some alone time. I'm about to try to raise the humidity a little bit and up the heat. Any other advice to be had? Also, how long (on average) does it take wallies to connect?

talk to silent devil, he did it but said they were very very hard.

Yeah - try talking to some of the experienced breeders. Especially those that supply wahlbergiis. Also try searching the forum.

Here is who I think keeps them:

hibiscusmile

jamurfjr

Orin

SilentDevil

Mime454

brancsikia339

hierodula

Tammy Wolfe

Orin posted the dedicated caresheet for them. It seems to be a work in progress, though... Here is the link to the caresheet: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29715

You should definately try talking to him.

Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it by putting them in a cage together, keeping a close watch. After each mating, id remove the male for about 2 days and then try again. This worked three times (every time was an over nighter) until the last one which the male was eaten :(

I have them tooo :( I found the male was more ready to connect when placed directly on the females back. Mine connected within the hour, but you can always try moving the males abdomen if all else fails

brancsikia339 and hierodula - I added you guys to the list. :)

I have them tooo :( I found the male was more ready to connect when placed directly on the females back. Mine connected within the hour, but you can always try moving the males abdomen if all else fails
I did it by putting them in a cage together, keeping a close watch. After each mating, id remove the male for about 2 days and then try again. This worked three times (every time was an over nighter) until the last one which the male was eaten :(

I've had several people ask me in chat/private messages for advice as I've been keeping the same wahlbergii bloodline going since I got my L1 nymphs in August 2011, but I'm afraid that I may not be able to say that a few months from now. When my original stock became adults in December 2011, I mated all of the females without much difficulty. I joked that they bred like rabbits for me. All five of my females laid fertile ooths that produced over 600 nymphs. (It would have been more but I gave away a couple of the females after they laid a few ooths.) The majority of the other members who bought nymphs from the same seller back in August/Sept 2011 were not able to breed their wahlbergii. I'm not sure why. I was able to breed their offspring again without any issues. The females were quite obvious about spraying pheromones after dark, and I usually mated them late at night as soon as the female seemed receptive. The males usually connected shortly after mounting the female. I struggled a bit with the next generation but was again able to mate all of my females. I had to put the males on the backs instead of letting them mount on their own. Now their offspring are adults, and I've had difficulty mating all of my females this time (round # 4). The females don't seem as receptive to mating. The males mounted and tried to connect but were not able to. Many of the males were eaten. A few died of old age. Now I have a couple of females I got from another member (same bloodline/member got them from a friend who got them from me and bred them) who is not able to keep mantids in the summer. These females are receptive but the only fresh male I had showed no interest in mating and was finally eaten.

I've discussed this with one of the more experienced mantid breeders (his name is not listed above but this species is on his blog, and he started with this species in 2005), and he mentioned that he also had trouble keeping wahlbergii going for more than a few generations. I think hibicusmile has acquired different stock at times according to her bugatorium thread, but I'm curious how many generations she and Orin were able to keep going. I've heard others have had trouble keeping these going for more than 3 - 4 generations. The bad news is that others I have given/sold wahlbergii to this last time also had trouble getting them to mate...and a few of them are great breeders. That said, I think the stock SilentDevil got from a friend is the same bloodline as mine, and he's had some success as have a few others. So, there is hope...

Give them plenty of light and feed them a variety of insects. Heating them up seems to help but also sometimes seems to make them more aggressive. Try late at night instead of the daytime. I often have more success breeding in the summer/fall than I do in the winter/early spring. Unfortunately we've had such cold and rainy weather this spring that I haven't been able to catch many insects yet. I sometimes put my mantids outside in the sun, and it's been too cold to do that. Be careful if you do. Plastic enclosures in the hot sun will kill the mantis. I use net enclosures and put them outside the window by the computer so that I can watch them. Extreme temperature fluctuations can also kill them...even in net enclosures.

Good luck and let us know if you are able to breed them. Hoping some can keep these going.

I've had several people ask me in chat/private messages for advice as I've been keeping the same wahlbergii bloodline going since I got my L1 nymphs in August 2011, but I'm afraid that I may not be able to say that a few months from now. When my original stock became adults in December 2011, I mated all of the females without much difficulty. I joked that they bred like rabbits for me. All five of my females laid fertile ooths that produced over 600 nymphs. (It would have been more but I gave away a couple of the females after they laid a few ooths.) The majority of the other members who bought nymphs from the same seller back in August/Sept 2011 were not able to breed their wahlbergii. I'm not sure why. I was able to breed their offspring again without any issues. The females were quite obvious about spraying pheromones after dark, and I usually mated them late at night as soon as the female seemed receptive. The males usually connected shortly after mounting the female. I struggled a bit with the next generation but was again able to mate all of my females. I had to put the males on the backs instead of letting them mount on their own. Now their offspring are adults, and I've had difficulty mating all of my females this time (round # 4). The females don't seem as receptive to mating. The males mounted and tried to connect but were not able to. Many of the males were eaten. A few died of old age. Now I have a couple of females I got from another member (same bloodline/member got them from a friend who got them from me and bred them) who is not able to keep mantids in the summer. These females are receptive but the only fresh male I had showed no interest in mating and was finally eaten.

I've discussed this with one of the more experienced mantid breeders (his name is not listed above but this species is on his blog, and he started with this species in 2005), and he mentioned that he also had trouble keeping wahlbergii going for more than a few generations. I think hibicusmile has acquired different stock at times according to her bugatorium thread, but I'm curious how many generations she and Orin were able to keep going. I've heard others have had trouble keeping these going for more than 3 - 4 generations. The bad news is that others I have given/sold wahlbergii to this last time also had trouble getting them to mate...and a few of them are great breeders. That said, I think the stock SilentDevil got from a friend is the same bloodline as mine, and he's had some success as have a few others. So, there is hope...

Give them plenty of light and feed them a variety of insects. Heating them up seems to help but also sometimes seems to make them more aggressive. Try late at night instead of the daytime. I often have more success breeding in the summer/fall than I do in the winter/early spring. Unfortunately we've had such cold and rainy weather this spring that I haven't been able to catch many insects yet. I sometimes put my mantids outside in the sun, and it's been too cold to do that. Be careful if you do. Plastic enclosures in the hot sun will kill the mantis. I use net enclosures and put them outside the window by the computer so that I can watch them. Extreme temperature fluctuations can also kill them...even in net enclosures.

Good luck and let us know if you are able to breed them. Hoping some can keep these going.
Ya Tammy I think i got the gen that is hard to mate...... I had 22 male 10 females ... now I'm down to 11 male and 10 Female but I only saw 4 Pair mated for 6-7hr with my only eyes ... the rest is still trying till i can see the connection ... Male will sit on Female for 2-5 days ... and If they still don;t connect ... then the male will be gone ..... all i can say the willing to mate males is only 40% the rest will jump on but wont mate ..... 11 of my male stay too long with out mating I think the female got feed up lol took them for dinner .... I have try many ways ... heat them up spray water ... Nothing seems to be working other then keep them under nature from the Sun power .... If the male wont mate..... it will not mate till it die.... thats why if u see a male mate after the connection make sure u save him for another female ...

Tell us how it works out, sinensispsyched!

Also, have you read "My technique for mating mantids" posted by Rick? It is in the breeding category. Here is a link: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7112

Make sure that the male has a lot of room to make his escape. Put them in either a large cage, or in a room.
Yep, I have! It's been an amazing help, but, as others have said, wallies have their own issues. Why can't they lose their darn virginity?

Yep, I have! It's been an amazing help, but, as others have said, wallies have their own issues. Why can't they lose their darn virginity?
For sure ,,, they have their own Issues If not P.W's will be like Cero's ..... all over the place ... If PW's are that easy to mate I'm sure u'll find them on the Sales/Trades section all the time ...

For sure ,,, they have their own Issues If not P.W's will be like Cero's ..... all over the place ... If PW's are that easy to mate I'm sure u'll find them on the Sales/Trades section all the time ...
They were like Creos for me the first few generations!

The good thing about this species (at least in my experience) is that I only had to mate the females once and they laid several fertile ooths. Hatch rate didn't drop until the last few ooths. I'll be interested in seeing how many nymphs you get SilentDevil.

They were like Creos for me the first few generations!

The good thing about this species (at least in my experience) is that I only had to mate the females once and they laid several fertile ooths. Hatch rate didn't drop until the last few ooths. I'll be interested in seeing how many nymphs you get SilentDevil.
lol I'll keep around 100 Nymph for next gen keep it going, then sell off all the rest of ooth .

Oh, good luck Tammy Wolfe, sinensispsyched and SilentDeviL!

I hope that your hatch rate is high.

I wonder if there is other stock on other forums or something.

i really wonder if inbreeding causes breeding issues

creos will become less willing to mate and more aggressive towards each other after a few generations of inbreeding, maybe pseudocreos show the same issues

I have about 4 ooths incubating right now. I have noticed with this species among others that all males are clearly not created equal. Out of four males only one was able to mate multiple females. My other three males either would just ride around until eaten or jump off and soon die of old age. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hope to have a next generation soon?

I have about 4 ooths incubating right now. I have noticed with this species among others that all males are clearly not created equal. Out of four males only one was able to mate multiple females. My other three males either would just ride around until eaten or jump off and soon die of old age. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hope to have a next generation soon?
Ya SO i was right .... Not all male willing to mate ... So don't matter how many male u got ~~~!!! U just need 1 sex machine to get the job done ... lol

Ya SO i was right .... Not all male willing to mate ... So don't matter how many male u got ~~~!!! U just need 1 sex machine to get the job done ... lol
I had seven males with my original stock, and I used everyone for mating. Back then, they were all interested. My problem with this generation is that some of the females aren't interested. They eat the males before mating, and that never happened in the past. I've had some females interested and some males but never two interested at the same time.

Good luck to you and ismart! Hope you can keep these going.

I had seven males with my original stock, and I used everyone for mating. Back then, they were all interested. My problem with this generation is that some of the females aren't interested. They eat the males before mating, and that never happened in the past. I've had some females interested and some males but never two interested at the same time.

Good luck to you and ismart! Hope you can keep these going.
I think it's from inbreeding, and I think his are from the ooths you sent me

Latest posts