P. wahlbergii nymph, L1

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just that ... I was about to order an adult male from here on the forum last week, and just then the female died! :eek:
Not sure if I really believe in things are predestined, but sure sounds like your female wasn't meant to mate. What a shame. At least you did get some new nymphs to try again. ;)

Not sure if I really believe in things are predestined, but sure sounds like your female wasn't meant to mate. What a shame. At least you did get some new nymphs to try again. ;)
:D

P. wahlbergii L1 nymph (again)

Some more experiments with the Canon MP-E, but this time using the Sony a7II camera which finally arrived today.

I was trying here to see how much DOF I could get in trade for increasing diffraction ... so I had the lens all the way stopped down. That gave an effective aperture of f/64 for the first five, and f/96 for the last image (taken at 5:1) ... insanely tiny apertures!

Not much light could get through so I had to use ISO400, generating more noise than I would normally want.

Looks like you have a little ham there who like getting it's picture taken...LOL nice patient subject... Bonus! we get to reap the benefits... more pictures!

I don't understand any of the camera mumbo jumbo... But I do like the pics..

Thanks for sharing Michael...

Looks like you have a little ham there who like getting it's picture taken...LOL nice patient subject... Bonus! we get to reap the benefits... more pictures!

I don't understand any of the camera mumbo jumbo... But I do like the pics..

Thanks for sharing Michael...
LOL I have TEN little hams who love having their pictures taken! :D

Thank you CosbyArt! Yeah, I think those clubbed antennae are just about the coolest thing about wahli nymphs. :)

I'd agree, the D40 does a remarkably good job ... I usually suggest to people wanting to try a DSLR for the first time without a lot of investment that they look for these on eBay, with a kit lens they're super cheap! IMO it may be pushing them a bit if one expects the images to look their best at larger than web sizes, but usually that's all that's desired.

Best luck with your camera hunting! IIRC the D90 may be the least expensive Nikon with an internal AF motor.
Update ;) I was looking long and hard at the Canon 30D camera (as it is a great line and anything bought for the 30D could be used on the upgraded camera body of a 40D, 50D, etc. - batteries and all).

In the end though I called around local pawnshops as we have no camera shop within 100 miles and found a Nikon D200 for $200 with kit lens and basic accessories. Of course when I raised the money it was sold. I went today though and got a Nikon D80 (same sensor as the D200) 10.2MP with lens (28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 G), 2 batteries, AC battery charger with a car DC adapter too, wireless remote, video out cable, and Lowepro camera bag all for under $200 so I'm happy. It also has a AF motor for old lenses so I'm set if I can find some glass at a bargain, old or new.
thumbs-up2.gif

I took the renaming money and bought me a 20" widescreen monitor - I've used a 17" square monitor that has a strange 5:4 aspect for a few years now - and a monitor color calibrator from XRITE that I can use with dispcalGUI or the native software so I can properly set my colors/calibration when the calibrator arrives.

I got a few more things to put on ebay too so I am hoping to squeeze out some more accessories for my Nikon and perhaps a decent piece of glass or two. I do know I have lots to learn on the D80 as the menu settings/custom configuration/extra buttons blows away my old D3100 and has me a bit lost at the moment. I've been snapping some photos and hope to share some soon. :D

Thanks for sharing what a 6MP camera can do, as the megapixel myth sure sells cameras. I know I would not be using a DSLR again now if it wasn't for this thread, so thank you. :D

Such beautiful pictures, Michael!
Thanks much Jay! :D

Update ;) I was looking long and hard at the Canon 30D camera (as it is a great line and anything bought for the 30D could be used on the upgraded camera body of a 40D, 50D, etc. - batteries and all).

In the end though I called around local pawnshops as we have no camera shop within 100 miles and found a Nikon D200 for $200 with kit lens and basic accessories. Of course when I raised the money it was sold. I went today though and got a Nikon D80 (same sensor as the D200) 10.2MP with lens (28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 G), 2 batteries, AC battery charger with a car DC adapter too, wireless remote, video out cable, and Lowepro camera bag all for under $200 so I'm happy. It also has a AF motor for old lenses so I'm set if I can find some glass at a bargain, old or new.
thumbs-up2.gif

I took the renaming money and bought me a 20" widescreen monitor - I've used a 17" square monitor that has a strange 5:4 aspect for a few years now - and a monitor color calibrator from XRITE that I can use with dispcalGUI or the native software so I can properly set my colors/calibration when the calibrator arrives.

I got a few more things to put on ebay too so I am hoping to squeeze out some more accessories for my Nikon and perhaps a decent piece of glass or two. I do know I have lots to learn on the D80 as the menu settings/custom configuration/extra buttons blows away my old D3100 and has me a bit lost at the moment. I've been snapping some photos and hope to share some soon. :D

Thanks for sharing what a 6MP camera can do, as the megapixel myth sure sells cameras. I know I would not be using a DSLR again now if it wasn't for this thread, so thank you. :D
Wow, you've been busy, and discovered some great buys! :D

Sounds like you've got things well under control, and having a nice (well-calibrated) monitor is really important. I doubt the camera's menu will have much of a learning curve for you ... it's been quite a few years since I had a D3000 (my first DSLR) so I don't remember much about the menu, but Nikon's GUIs are usually pretty intuitive.

Happy to hear that my threads offered some motivation, one of the most satisfying things about my photography comes when I'm able to help others discover what a blast macro photography is! I appreciate your saying that, so my thanks to you as well! :)

Wow, you've been busy, and discovered some great buys! :D
Sounds like you've got things well under control, and having a nice (well-calibrated) monitor is really important. I doubt the camera's menu will have much of a learning curve for you ... it's been quite a few years since I had a D3000 (my first DSLR) so I don't remember much about the menu, but Nikon's GUIs are usually pretty intuitive.

Happy to hear that my threads offered some motivation, one of the most satisfying things about my photography comes when I'm able to help others discover what a blast macro photography is! I appreciate your saying that, so my thanks to you as well! :)
Yeah I was shocked as they typical price their goods the same or higher than found online, but they were locally cheaper for a change. ;)

Indeed I am anxiously awaiting for the calibrator to arrive on Thursday. I've ruined many projects in the past using a monitor that was set too bright (not to mention colors) so they looked awful other than on my screen. So far so good, I've even did some astronomy shots last night (nothing impressive but much better than I expected to get from the start).

Glad to see you get satisfaction from it. :D It really did get me back into it though.

I'm curious did you get your new DLSR yet? I seen another topic of yours but as it is PNG there is not EXIF data
poker.gif

Yeah I was shocked as they typical price their goods the same or higher than found online, but they were locally cheaper for a change. ;)

Indeed I am anxiously awaiting for the calibrator to arrive on Thursday. I've ruined many projects in the past using a monitor that was set too bright (not to mention colors) so they looked awful other than on my screen. So far so good, I've even did some astronomy shots last night (nothing impressive but much better than I expected to get from the start).

Glad to see you get satisfaction from it. :D It really did get me back into it though.

I'm curious did you get your new DLSR yet? I seen another topic of yours but as it is PNG there is not EXIF data
poker.gif
Not a DSLR ... I went mirrorless and am loving it! :D

Latest posts