Paranoid after so many failures - Ghost Mantis Take 2

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamonger

Reaction score
So I've not had any luck hatching anything other then Chinese mantises so after waiting on this ghost ooth for 8+ weeks I'm starting to lose hope again.

The caresheet says 6 to 10 weeks which is quite the range! So I was wondering what sorts of hatching times people who actually have hatched ghosts have come across? Should I just be patient and cross all my fingers and toes or should I start preparing for the seemingly inevitable disappointment?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Teamonger How about hearing from someone who was unsuccessful hatching one? ;) From the half dozen species and nearly 100+ ooths I've hatch, the Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) was one of the few that was a dud for me.

Actually yen_saw has his Ghost log at his old site, his ooth hatched in 31 days; although as he states, "this species is notorious in producing infertile ooth". It was also the only ooth from his group that did hatch too.

Obviously the species can't be that difficult as they are commonly found and sold cheaply. Let us know when it decides to hatch. :)

@CosbyArt Dang! Thanks for the info. I'll keep hoping but maybe I should try a different species next then!
Yes don't give up hope yet.

From my logs of my Stagmomantis carolina ooths they have taken 35 to 97 days to hatch initially, and one ooth had some nymphs still hatching (many small hatches from a single ooth) more than 100 days after it was laid. Beyond diapause (not a option in Ghosts) and heat/humidity/whatever, nymphs make an appearance when they are ready. ;)

Ghost ooths, that actually hatched took 60 days.

I agree infertile ooths were common

I actually spoke with the breeder I bought it from and they have had similar issues with this group of ooths. I'm relieved its not just me and I didn't somehow mess up the husbandry. I'll get a replacement for the dud in my next order so I'll get to try again in a few months when I have time to spend on mantis adventures again  :D

So no ghosts for me this round but hopefully next time!

@Teamonger Sorry to hear it was all for not. It is amazing the seller is going to give you a replacement ooth though (rather unheard of) - so best of luck on the next round. :D

@CosbyArt Indeed ooths don't come with guarantees! So it was very awesome of them! I messaged them just looking for information about the ooth and got that and more :D  A+++

@Teamonger

If you are up for a smaller species you might enjoy something like Creobroter pictipennis. They tend to be easy/cheap to get, breed easily, have good hatch rates, and the nymphs are super hardy. A nice plus is the numbers are more manageable per a ooth than a number of species but the nymphs tend to be so robust this is one of the species where you can have a 100% success rate from nymphs to adulthood.

It is great the seller is being so honest over the fact the whole batch looks like they might be dudes. Definitely give them some nice feedback if they are willing to replace.

@Krissim Klaw Oh I plan to try as many species as I can! Flower mantises are definitely on the list. I was aiming for ghosts for the communal set up option and because they are so very interesting looking. My all time favorite mantis is the Spiny flower mantis which I already attempted to hatch an ooth of but an electrical issue cooked the poor thing.

100% success rate sounds amazing. I am so used to the Chinese Mantises now and their tendency to die at the drop of a hat for a whole plethora of reasons no matter how carefully you care for them.

I will definitely give them a GLOWING reference when I make my next order in a few months.

Latest posts