Parasitic wasps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellroy

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with wild caught ootheca being parasitized by wasps? I am thinking of using this as the basis of a research project for my degree and would be keen to hear of peoples experiences of this and if anyone is unfortunate enough to hatch out any wasps I would be keen to take them off your hands - even dead ones may be useful for identifying species,

Thanks

Alan

Hi.

You may be lucky examining ooths of Tenodera sinensis and Stagmomantis carolina, but also Stagmomantis limbata (see Fagan & Folarin 2001). Most common species in N-America: Podagrion mantis Ashmead. If you find some in ooths of Mantis religiosa, too, please let me know, I need the info for a monography on Mantis religiosa. It would be the proof that Mantis is parasited also by native N-American Podagrion species. The European ones are already known to parasite Mantis ooths.

Regards,

Christian

EDIT: you're from the UK, so forget the N-American stuff. But we still need a very good photo of Podagrion parasitizing a Mantis ooth. :D

Hi.

Do you still have the ones from the Idolo-ooth? It does not matter if they are dead.

The Parasphendale ones are just interesting if they are the same as the Idolo ones.

Regards,

Christian

Hey Christian.

I have found holes in wild caught Religiosa oothecas here in Colorado (definitely parasites), but I haven't seen any ooths for a while. If I find one with a parasite I will let you know. I never thought of those parasites as useful!

-Jay

Never seen it myself and I have collected a lot of ooths from outside.

look at Deshawns site, i believe he has had a similiar experience.

I hate those freaking wasps. I find parasitized ooths of Iris oratoria and Stagmomantis limbata all the time. :evil:

Thanks,

Andrew

That's not as bad. Usually there still hatch mantids some time after the wasps: mantids have one generation per Jahr, wasps too. The spring generation has to search for other older oothecae to develop. The fall generation then has "fresh food" :lol:

Christian

Latest posts