Parasphendale agrionina vs affinis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left side both pics the larger budwing that has been in culture in the northeast for some time. Right side both pics is the smaller budwing that came from an ooth I got from Yen. Confirmed by Orin that one is an agrionina and one is an affinis. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Larger budwing has mint green about the joints and a dark magenta patterning on the abdomen. Females are 6-7 cm and elytra are lined yellow along top and side, slightly muted as noticeable in the photo. Smaller budwing is predominantly darker chocolate including patterning on abdomen, no mint green anywhere and elytra are solid black with light circle in middle and distinct yellow along top of elytra. Lengthy is 4-5 cm. larger boys have grey patterned wings and smaller boys are reddish, no pattern on wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three days ago, both my male and female budwings simultaneously molted to adults. Because they were always very dark brown as nymphs, I thought they were P. affinis. They are now light tan/gray and tonight, the female startled me with her threat display and the underside of her tegmina are mostly yellow with smaller brown bands, defining them as P. agrionina, acc. to Orin's book.

My question is the above photo shows a pattern with small yellow bands. Does this wing pattern vary by individual?

Latest posts