Paratoxodera cornicollis(malaysian feathered mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisboy101

Reaction score
This is one of the most weirdest and at the same time coolest species ever!!

It looks like a stick with fines around it. :blink:

was there ment to be a image to this post?if there is i cant see it..dam pc.

i wish i lived in Malaysia...does any one know how many recorded species there are there?

The specimen on those pictures is named differently. But we had this before, performing a search should help.

@Chrisboy: bring me some and I'll do it.

I love this species. Are they endangered in the wild?

I wonder if I'd be able to source them in malaysia next time I go. Then there's just the issue of getting them home legally :p

People sometimes get the one or other specimen. It doesn't help though, as most die after a few days. This is definitely a taxon (there are 3 genera with several species) which should be left to experienced people. Ever wondered why there are never small nymphs shown? Because noone ever came so far. Most mentid enthusiasts aren't even able to deal with Idolomantis, which is rather easy compared to those ones. The fewer people know something about the natural habits of Toxodera & Co., the better... We see where knowing the ooth led to in case of Idolomantis. Toxos are just too rare to end as an overexploited species despite of available captive bred specimens as in the case of the latter. So better continue to breed your ghost and flower mantids and let stuff like this to those guys who know what they're doing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
People sometimes get the one or other specimen. It doesn't help though, as most die after a few days. This is definitely a taxon (there are 3 genera with several species) which should be left to experienced people. Ever wondered why there are never small nymphs shown? Because noone ever came so far. Most mentid enthusiasts aren't even able to deal with Idolomantis, which is rather easy compared to those ones. The fewer people know something about the natural habits of Toxodera & Co., the better... We see where knowing the ooth led to in case of Idolomantis. Toxos are just too rare to end as an overexploited species despite of available captive bred specimens as in the case of the latter. So better continue to breed your ghost and flower mantids and let stuff like this to those guys who know what they're doing. ;)
I know but we cant stick to the same species forever. it would be so cool to be able to get that sp.

someone must be able to breed them.

Yeah, someone is certainly able to breed these ones too, but usually it's not the ones who think they can.

go on the website insects for sale which sells dried insects from allover the world. and search mantids and it shows tons of exotic mantids that ive never even heard of

Latest posts