Parthenogenic mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staplerSen

Reaction score
Last night my female Hierodula majuscula laid an ootheca. Since in my possession she has never been in the presence of any males (I got her around L4-L5, not sure tbh from yen_saw). Is this ootheca going to be infertile or is Hierodula majuscula a species that exhibits parthenogenesis?

Last night my female Hierodula majuscula laid an ootheca. Since in my possession she has never been in the presence of any males (I got her around L4-L5, not sure tbh from yen_saw). Is this ootheca going to be infertile or is Hierodula majuscula a species that exhibits parthenogenesis?
Most likely infertile, but the Hierodula sp. are known in rare instances to reproduce via parthenogenesis. You can incubate the ooth and see for yourself if anything hatches, all it takes it time. ;)

Below I have attached the list of mantid species known to be parthenogenesis from research papers, and several confirmed cases, that I have put together since I started in the hobby (whenever I come across details of it occurring in species).

High Parthenogenesis
--------------------
Brunner's Mantis or Brunner's Stick Mantis (Brunneria borealis) -- No males exist. Ooths can spread hatches to two seasons/years.

Common Parthenogenesis
----------------------
Mediterranean Mantis (Iris oratoria) -- Ooths can also spread hatches to two seasons/years.

Rare Parthenogenesis
--------------------
African mantis, giant African mantis, and bush mantis (Sphodromantis viridis)
American grass mantis or Grass-Like Mantis (Thesprotia graminis)
Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina)*
Egyptian Pygmy mantis (Miomantis paykullii)
European mantis (Mantis religiosa)
Giant Asian mantis (Hierodula membranacea)

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding to your list of mantises that have Parthenogenesis, I once had a female Carolina mantis have a single baby mantis. I had raised the female from a nymph to an adult and she had never mated, I did not find a male for her. So sometime in the winter I found a single baby mantis in her cage from one of the egg cases she had laid. So I am assuming that she had reproduced by parthenogenesis.

So I would say incubate the ootheca and see what happens like CosbyArt said.

Almost every female mantis lays an ootheca regardless of whether they are fertile or not. Every once in a while the ooth with hatch, but usually a single nymph

Adding to your list of mantises that have Parthenogenesis, I once had a female Carolina mantis have a single baby mantis. I had raised the female from a nymph to an adult and she had never mated, I did not find a male for her. So sometime in the winter I found a single baby mantis in her cage from one of the egg cases she had laid. So I am assuming that she had reproduced by parthenogenesis.

So I would say incubate the ootheca and see what happens like CosbyArt said.
Indeed sounds like a case of it, and great to hear as is one of my favorite species. I added it to my list, and will have to see if I can get it to occur sooner or later with all the Carolina's I tend to keep. :)

@CosbyArt Thanks for the list! How should I go about incubating the ooth (leave it in there, move it to a seperate container, etc.)? All I know is that if i move it I should take care to ensure that it's in the same orientation.

@staplerSen Moving it to another container is the best idea; however, you will need to let the ooth fully harden. Just let it sit for 24 hours or more, personally I leave them for 2 to 3 days to ensure they are fully dry.

With the now hardened ooth place it in another container - I recommend a larger container so they have room to molt/grow before having to be moved, I use a 1 quart or larger container (my typical incubation container is a 5 gallon container for the Chinese species as they have so many eggs in a single ooth). The larger the better, as it gives them places to hide and escape, which cuts down on cannibalism.

Place the ooth in the same position it is currently orientated, that way the nymphs can successfully hatch (there is a hatching side on the ooth which needs to point downward as it is now for best results). The easiest/best method is place a gob of hot glue where you want to attach the ooth, and let the glue sit for about 10 seconds to cool off but still remain sticky. Then carefully press the ooth into the hot glue to attach it. Here is a link to a video to show what to expect when they hatch.

The new container will act like a incubation container, and should have all the openings covered in fine mesh (like coffee filters or organza fabric) hot glued in place. The fine mesh will allow you to feed them Melanogaster/Hydei fruit flies (without them escaping) once the nymphs start hatching (feed them 24-48 hours afterwards), and it can serve for their nursery for about two molts before you need to separate the nymphs into their own habitats. If they are not separated at the L2 to L3 level then cannibalism between the nymphs will become a problem - if not sooner.

The container will need a small feeding hole added, and when not in use filled with a piece of sponge. That way you can feed the nymphs without them escaping from opening the lid. I also add a thin layer of sphagnum peat moss as substrate to act as a moisture wick, slowly releasing moisture as it absorbs sprayed water and it ensures no standing water - as even a single water drop can get a nymph stuck and/or drown it. I spray misted water in my incubation containers about every three-five days depending on the RH (room humidity), as the incubation containers hold moisture very well with the fine mesh - and once they hatch spray every other day. Do not spray the ooth though as it can cause mold that can ruin your ooth.

For feeding them fruit flies the best method I've come up with is my FF baster (it is a DIY guide), saves a lot of time and effort. Also for help on how to create the feeding hole, covering openings with mesh, and other habitat needs see the DIY habitat guide here for photos/instructions.

If you have any other questions just ask. :)

Here is one of my 1 quart incubating containers, this is the Brunner's mantis (Brunneria borealis) species...

brunner5-23-16.jpg

This is my 5 gallon incubation container, and those are just a few Chinese nymphs (Tenodera sinensis) visible from a ooth - as they have about 100 that will hatch

2-26-16-chinese1.jpg

Latest posts