Partially successful ghost molt...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apocanaut

Reaction score
Ok, so my ghost hadn't molted in over a month and I was a little concerned as the unicorns and budwings had molted 2 or 3 times during that period, so I had the ghost crawl around in the grass for a while to see if maybe exercise would encourage a molt.

Afterwards I put her back in her terrarium and she crawled up to the organza netting under the lid and looked like she might molt so I left her alone with plenty of humidity and heat. I went to check on her a couple hours later and saw she had molted, except that she is now missing 1 leg and her arms are half out of the molt. The arm part seems to be because she did not have anything directly underneath her, since the terrarium is about 10 inches tall, so she was holding on to the side of the lid and thus could not remove her arms.

At this point she is standing on a sock on top of a jar (sudden emergency provisions) with her arms still in the molt, which is attached to the organza netting directly above her. What else should I do? Should I try getting her to hang from the organza again so she's in the original position?

Ok, so my ghost hadn't molted in over a month and I was a little concerned as the unicorns and budwings had molted 2 or 3 times during that period, so I had the ghost crawl around in the grass for a while to see if maybe exercise would encourage a molt.Afterwards I put her back in her terrarium and she crawled up to the organza netting under the lid and looked like she might molt so I left her alone with plenty of humidity and heat. I went to check on her a couple hours later and saw she had molted, except that she is now missing 1 leg and her arms are half out of the molt. The arm part seems to be because she did not have anything directly underneath her, since the terrarium is about 10 inches tall, so she was holding on to the side of the lid and thus could not remove her arms.

At this point she is standing on a sock on top of a jar (sudden emergency provisions) with her arms still in the molt, which is attached to the organza netting directly above her. What else should I do? Should I try getting her to hang from the organza again so she's in the original position?
They don't need anything underneath of them when molting. That is actually a bad thing. If the front legs are stuck she is a goner. I wouldn't waste anymore time on that one and would feed it to another mantis.

Latest posts