Peacock mantis - beautiful wings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyRuP

Reaction score
Well, earlier today I was releasing a fly into my Peacock mantis' cage, and as usual had to quickly shut the tanks' doors, however this time, it gave her a bit of a fright and she lifted up her claws by her head in a threat display and brought out her really REALLY beautiful wings.

I missed the photo oppurtunity despite my best efforts (resulting in a broken glass), and am really keen to see her bring them out again. I was wondering whether there are any common methods of tricking her into doing this again, or whether she'll bring them out just to stretch them naturally? Because there isnt anything big enough to feed her that would result in her bringing her wings out, so Im worried that I wont really see them again.

An idea i had was to stick a mirror quickly? Maybe her reflection would make her bring them out?? Thanks

Do a search on here for the peacock and there are some topics that may help you induce the threat display. I had to look it up because I haven't seen a peacock and wanted to know what it looked like, just happened to find lots of information on them too! Seems they're a rather aggressive mantis. Keep the camera handy next time! Just try not to break anything this time
tt2.gif

Do a search on here for the peacock and there are some topics that may help you induce the threat display. I had to look it up because I haven't seen a peacock and wanted to know what it looked like, just happened to find lots of information on them too! Seems they're a rather aggressive mantis. Keep the camera handy next time! Just try not to break anything this time
tt2.gif
haha ok thank you very much, will do ^_^

WElcome. We have an introductions forum to make your intro the group.

To get a threat display I normally just use my hand. Some will do it more readily than others. I can poke at them and that will usually work.

Yes poking will work, they don't like it, any face forward pointing is aggravating, and as for being aggressive,,,,....how do I say this, they are beautiful and boring, never had one even look like they were alive or awake unless they got scared, almost have to force feed them.
wink.gif

Latest posts