Pede collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jseng

Reaction score
We just got hit with a snowstorm and I've got nothing else to do, so I'm finally gonna upload pics of some of my favorite centipedes. Not sure who else on the forum digs pedes, but I love to discuss chilopod husbandry and I'm always in the market for new species, so feel free to hit me up about either of those things! Enjoy!

Scolopendra polymorpha "Sky Island Blue Morph" (Tiger Centipede)

blue poly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Scolopendra aztecorum (Aztec Ghost Centipede)

aztec.jpg

Scolopdendra morsitans (Tanzanian Redheaded Centipede)

morsitans.red.jpg

Scolopendra heros arizonensis "Banded Morph" (Banded heros)

rsz_banded-az-min.jpg

To be continued...

Wow, 8 different species already shown, are they past or current species of yours? :)

It is amazing that you physically handle them, I did a few times as a kid until I was bit one too many times and haven't since. ;) I have learned although deaths from a bite are rare, and it is usually someone with a allergy to the venom that has the most trouble. Although after stumbling too close to various bee/wasps nests through the years (primarily yellow-jackets as kid), I have no desire to have a venomous "bee" sting from a pet lol. :D

Personally the Scolopdendra morsitans (Tanzanian Redheaded Centipede) stands out from the others, I guess due to the bright coloration. I did a bit of searching on the species and stumbled onto this article. Seems the red isn't just for show on that species.

Amazing collection though and thanks for sharing.
thumbs-up2.gif

Thanks, man! Yeah, I love my mantids, but my centipede collection is my true pride and joy. I've still got most of the animals in the photos, though my big female banded heros arizonensis passed away recently of old age, which broke my heart, bc she was the biggest (legit 9" body length, not counting antennae or terminals) and IMO most beautiful of all my pedes  :(

Until about a year ago, I also thought handling them was for crazy people, but I built up the courage to do it after watching a bunch of instructional vids on the topic by a fellow pede enthusiast on Arachnoboards (user "Mastigoproctus" aka the pede whisperer). Tbh I think they're generally just a misunderstood class of animal, and that people stereotype all pedes as "aggressive" based on experiences with the commonly available Scolopendra dehaani, which are genuinely one of the more high strung, defensive species of pede that probably shouldn't be handled by anyone. However, there are lots species of centipede that are pretty mellow for the most part and will only bite you if handled super roughly. At this point, I've probably handled about 30 different specimens of a wide range of species, including both WC and CB specimens of all ages, and I've never been envenomated once, even though I feed most of my pedes by hand (often letting them literally eat in my hands). If you ever feel like taking the plunge and handling a centipede, feel free to PM and I'll be happy to give you some tips!

Scolopendra alternans (FL Keys Giant Centipede)

fl.alt.ad.jpg

Scolopendra alternans "Haitian Black Morph"

bl.haitian.deli.jpg

Thanks, man! Yeah, I love my mantids, but my centipede collection is my true pride and joy. I've still got most of the animals in the photos, though my big female banded heros arizonensis passed away recently of old age, which broke my heart, bc she was the biggest (legit 9" body length, not counting antennae or terminals) and IMO most beautiful of all my pedes  :(

Until about a year ago, I also thought handling them was for crazy people, but I built up the courage to do it after watching a bunch of instructional vids on the topic by a fellow pede enthusiast on Arachnoboards (user "Mastigoproctus" aka the pede whisperer). Tbh I think they're generally just a misunderstood class of animal, and that people stereotype all pedes as "aggressive" based on experiences with the commonly available Scolopendra dehaani, which are genuinely one of the more high strung, defensive species of pede that probably shouldn't be handled by anyone. However, there are lots species of centipede that are pretty mellow for the most part and will only bite you if handled super roughly. At this point, I've probably handled about 30 different specimens of a wide range of species, including both WC and CB specimens of all ages, and I've never been envenomated once, even though I feed most of my pedes by hand (often letting them literally eat in my hands). If you ever feel like taking the plunge and handling a centipede, feel free to PM and I'll be happy to give you some tips!
No problems there, I've become quite a fan of my isopods. ;) She was definitely a beast at 9" as it seems the record is 12". Sorry to she has passed, but at least it was due to old age. It is amazing how attached we can become to our pets.

Looking at her photo in the UTZ brand pretzel container I get a reference of her size, as those are some rather big containers. Was she enjoying a cockroach in that photo?

I saw that in some of your photos, the pedes eating right out of your hand. So far the few I kept have been various local species and they tend to be rather aggressive. If I do get another species that seems more mellow I'll give you a PM about giving it a shot. :)

Latest posts