Pending Parent from Arlington, TX

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrsmith6661

Reaction score
Hey everyone!  As the title says, I'm pending mantid parenthood... bought 2 ootheca from Amazon, but have had not seen them hatch yet.  I purchased a butterfly habitat at the same time, and have had them hanging in the habitat since June 12.  I guess I became interested in them when I was told mantids can help control pests.  While I don't expect them to do much now that the summer is past it's peak, my interest in mantids is growing. 

I am married with one teenager (13).  My husband doesn't care for my growing interest, but he's tolerating lol!  My daughter likes that we have a new project to keep an eye on but beyond that, I can expect her distance as you cant do much with them from her iPhone, beyond taking pics.

I can't remember if I found this forum on Reddit or in the book I recently purchased, but now that I'm approved I thought I'd share a bit more here so I can learn more from you all.  Thanks for having me, looking forward to learning lots more from your experience.  If I can ever get them to "hatch" I'll be excited, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to say that ooths bought from amazon will most likely not hatch, especially at this time of year. It was most likely wild collected, and all wild collected ooths hatched earlier this spring. 

You would be better off buying from someone reliable on this forum. Sorry to disappoint!

- MantisGirl13 

Latest posts