People who have kept many mantids, what's your success rate on molts and how do you prevent mismolts?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moreliarty

Reaction score
I first got into the hobby with two ghosts who made it to adulthood with no problems whatsoever. So of course after that I got more and since then I've seen way more issues. I have two recent adults that I've had since they were L2 (p. wahlbergii and r. fusca) that became deformed after their final molt (not life-threatening, but awkward for them to move around) and one L5 ghost whose legs got stuck in a molt and lost use of one of them.

For reference, I've been keeping all of these in those standard 32 oz containers with a mesh lid at room temperature (74 degrees ish) and I spray once a day with RO water. I usually feed flies every 2-3 days and always remove them when they stop eating pre-molt.

How common is this? Am I doing something wrong? Am I unlucky? What do you guys to do that helps avoid mismolts?

I keep spinys. Also a hierodula and a mega, which need 50/60pct humidity.

In my home, Canada winter without humidifier support, my cups will dry out if I dont spray twice a day. Thats with round  largeish cotton pads as substrate (1 per deli cup). No substrate forget it.

I keep thistles at ambient humidity and things got dry for a couple of days. Fatal mismolt.

My advice is to keep everything in min 40 pct ambient humidity and use substrate. Spray often for more humid sp. 

Also, the most important humidity to a molting mantis is what's inside. Try to feed a grub or better yet, a waxworm before they molt. Juicy.

For mismolts, it all depends on the species. Some species are very prone to mismolts, others it is a rare occurrence. If you know a mantis is going to molt, let it drink a lot of water and keep the RH up. Also make sure that the mantis has enough room to molt and a good trip surface. 

- MantisGirl13

I second what has been said. Humidity is very critical to proper molting, and as @hysteresis said, misting a mantis who is about to molt will not help them become hydrated--they have to have proper humidity and water consumption premolt.

I use paper towels or cotton pads as a substrate, and depending on the species, mist 1-2 times a day. I highly recommend getting hygrometers, so you will know the humidity of your enclosures. You can find some digital ones for a buck or 2 on eBay. The RH in my home is around 20-36%, far below what my mantids require, so frequent misting is critical 

Latest posts