Pest Control?!?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraMG

Reaction score
I got a note on my door at my apartment saying they're spraying Wednesday. I called, and I can't stop it because it's their biannual spray around the whole complex. Here's my question: will it affect my mantids? They spray along the walls and windows so I wouldn't think so, but I would hate to be wrong about that and lose my mantids. I also have a colony of feeder roaches, and I am concerned for them too.
unsure.gif

i very much doubt it unless u keep ur mantids outdoors lol keep ya windows closed and perhaps just to be on safe side move ur mantids into a room where the spray wont be near , my gf loves spraying RAID to kill flies i keep saying stop spraying the ###### ###### near the mantids and spiders !!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Keep doors and windows shut, hang a sheet long enough to drag floor when u go in or out, and stuff towels whereever u think air will enter, this is extreem, but so are our babies. ;)

Keep doors and windows shut, hang a sheet long enough to drag floor when u go in or out, and stuff towels whereever u think air will enter, this is extreem, but so are our babies. ;)
Do you think I'd be better off just getting them out for a day or two? I don't know if I can plug everything!

If they are only spraying outside there is no danger to your bugs inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are only spraying outside there is no danger to your bugs inside.
They're spraying inside
eek.gif
They spray around the baseboards and windows, it's not a bug bombing at least. They say it's safe for cats and dogs.

I had ants today eating my fly carcasses. I sprayed them with roach killer and vacuumed them up. Mantises all watched.

So far no issues from the raid roach spray smell.. <_<

Oh yeah clean your dead fly cups and dead crickets right away too. lol :rolleyes:

They're spraying inside
eek.gif
They spray around the baseboards and windows, it's not a bug bombing at least. They say it's safe for cats and dogs.
In that case I would move them somewhere that is nowhere near the area being sprayed. Maybe into a closet or something. Safe for dogs and cats doesn't mean safe for insects. Those pesticides are designed to kill certain things and your bugs likely fall into that category.

I would move them out of there immediately! Not worth the risk of them dying! :(

If they were just spraying outside is one thing, but inside... :unsure:

Thanks everyone! I will take them to my mom's a mile down the road for a day or two. I'm sure she won't mind
whistling.gif

We had some unknown insects, most likely fleas, biting us in our bedroom for awhile. We used a fumigator to get rid of the pests -- I kept the mantises and the feeder insects in the living room during that time. I waited about two days before putting the mantises back in, and, even then, I was incredibly paranoid. They were all fine, though.

It's good that you found a place for them to stay. :)

I have been wanting to spray some ortho home defense under the sink in my kitchen. There have been way too many, American cockroaches, coming out of there at night. My room where the mantids are kept, is on the opposite side of the house. If I only spray in the kitchen, what are the chances that it will make it to my mantids. Has anyone ever done this? I have been putting it off on account of the mantids. It needs to be done, these roaches are disgusting, my dog even gags and vomits when he sniffs them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be weary to use something like that in my house. My girl has sprayed raid on some escapee crickets on a few occasions! I had to tell her what time it is! :2guns:

Surprisingly my mantids were not effected. Maybe you can spray some raid where there coming out from. That should hold them for a little while.

I'm surprised that they come in your house and spray, I figured you could have some control over that, that sucks. But in any case, go ahead and move your mantids do your mom's. I've sprayed my house with roach killer before without harming my mantids, and laced boric acid along the base boards. The only thing I can say is DO NOT feed ANY insect caught outside to your mantids. I know this goes without saying, but my mom didn't tell me that people came and sprayed, so I fed my mantids wild caught, poisoned crickets. Killed them all. :angry: