Pet Roach, Extinct in the Wild?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Clausen

Reaction score
Well, it may be true. The roaches in this video may be extinct in the wild, existing in only a few captive cultures. Simandoa conserfariam were discovered in a cave system which may have been destroyed by bauxite mining according to Harvard's, Piotr Naskrecki. Their common name is the Simandoa cave roach. The specific name means "to preserve in many places". And thus, they are introduced into our hobby!

Here is a link to a partial page of information. I have the full entry if anybody would like to email me for it.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3503709

Yes, that is my video Agent A. I will eventually sell them, of course, but my initial plan is to share them with other dedicated hobbyists since they were given to me with the understanding that I would help to "preserve them in many places".

They are actually bigger than they probably appear in the video. If anybody is familiar with giant lobster roaches, these are noticeably larger.

They're not as big as your signature line (the limit is 4 lines for signature area, please), but they are bigger than lobster roaches, and even giant lobster roaches. It's not a good frame of reference for people who haven't kept the other roaches before. The S. conserfariam are 30-35mm or 1.25 to 1.5 inches.

Latest posts